Early Summer bits and bobs - 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote: I should go back to the plot to water but I'm going to give it a miss and have a look at the back of my eyelids

:lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

They say you can never hold a good man down.....may i introduce you to the that very man...that just happens to be our own Pa Snip.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Glad you came out the other end in your usual style, Pa snip! Keep it up and get completely well soon!
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pa!

Glad it has all gone as well as can be expected! Take it easy in this heat though mate - early or late visits but not in the heat of the day to make you suck in warm air on top of mega huge laser heat that showed the little alien you've got him in your sights!

Ditto robo! I've had a brilliant strawberry year, enough sauce in the freezer to cover any amount of ice cream you throw at me!
Peter my raspberries look like they are also going to be heavy cropping but not quite ready yet!

Wins & losses as usual in this fickle world of growing! Love it - even if it makes me swear occasionally!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Pa, great to hear you are back in action so quickly but look after yourself.fingers crossed by an encouraging diagnosis.

Returned home this afternoon after a week's holiday expecting crops to look pretty dry which they were but all had survived and they had a water this evening. Picked a lot of very small strawberries. The plants looked very dried up and it was so hot the strawberries felt slightly cooked ! Lots of gooseberries waiting to be picked that they will have to wait a couple of days while I clear most of the weeds which have flourished.
Annoyingly our sprinkler broke this evening. It,s over 25 years old and the plastic has become so brittle it just snapped so that will be an urgent replacement purchase.

Tired this evening from long journey and the heat. Not a good night for quality sleep I suspect !
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:They say you can never hold a good man down.....may i introduce you to the that very man...that just happens to be our own Pa Snip.

Your very kind OH, but don't stick me on that pedestal, there's many a good person out there who is suffering more than I and who is at least as strong if not stronger.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Monika, Westi, Primrose.

Ty Monika, I'll do my best

Westi, ditto on the strawberry crop, been a very good crop. Still more to pick which we were going to do tonight but it was just too warm

Primrose
Thanks, but you might find hoeing with those fingers crossed a tad difficult .

Alderman peas and brassica's on list for planting out as soon as possible oh and leeks

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Nice to see you're up and about Pa
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

cheers tiger.
Looks as if I is going to be another hot day so may not be about as such as much today.

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Rest and recuperation is a fine way of spending any day, looking at your garden/plot is just as important as doing stuff.
peter
KG Regular

Town Carnival yesterday, dog and I assisted with Rugby Club float, scaffolding lorry with many mini-players on.
Dog was taken via his favourite bit of our local river, the weir, then unceremoniously held under a tap at the garage by the forming up area, set off at half twelve and at the end he went straight in the river where it entered the town park.
Our ladies team is recruiting and formed the majority of the walking party along with a number of stalwarts., A friend and I went drinking with the ladies after the procession ended. :shock: :roll: :oops:
This could be construed as a tactical error:?
The afternoon and evening vanished. :D

Dog enjoyed the pub, he got all the ladies leftover food.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

Been out early I thought I would go and water the plot ,not a sole down there only the resident pheasant running up and down our path it's a pity our dog is blind
tigerburnie
KG Regular

25 degrees and apart from visiting Dobbies nursery and coming back with 2 more roses that had to be planted, I've watered and sat under the Birch tree in the shade.
peter
KG Regular

Very hot here,ventured out to pick raspberries at half four, sweating like a tap doing that.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

Phew ! Too hot for me! Was up at 6 am weeding and watering after a week away. By 8.30 am it was already uncomfortably hot.
My mangetouts and gooseberries look ready to be picked. I reckon another couple of days of this heat and I won't have to bother stewing the gooseberries - they'll be cooked on the bushes ! Whatever the weather, we always find something to complain about!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic