The Giant Marrow Topic!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Well Well!

I have a marrow! It's had a growth spurt as well, must be all of 5 inches, from nothing to show at the beginning of the week! Contender in the making - if it was June obviously! :lol:
IMG_1291.JPG
IMG_1291.JPG (4.04 MiB) Viewed 2041 times
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Mine seems to have stopped growing, at much the same size as every ones too......
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Well I have looked at pictures of others,
I have even sneakily visually compared the size of some against the size of mine.
Seems mine has reached its peak and doesn't want to grow anymore.
My dreams of a big one proved premature
I have therefore decided to withdraw .............................

as my marrow just wont win prizes.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

I checked mine yesterday on my return , both seem to have stopped growing at around 17 inches I don't think this variety grow any bigger
Mouse2
KG Regular

Same here, Robo. I've just removed one, hoping that its successor might grow longer, but don't expect it to. My overgrown courgette is considerably bigger, both in length and circumference.

Next year, I will try to get hold of some proper 'giant' marrow seed in hope of producing a winner for our village show!
Westi
KG Regular

I must measure mine tomorrow! The late starter hit the glass on the cold frame so I had to drag the cold frame forward - fortunately not a hard job as missing loads of panels. It is not 17 inches though but at least still growing. Has anyone researched this variety to give a clue what it's max might be before everyone gives up?
Westi
Mouse2
KG Regular

I tried to find out, Westie, but without success. If yours is still growing it could still end up being the winner :)
Westi
KG Regular

Measured it today - it is 12" exactly, it's going to have to get a move on in the next couple of weeks!
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Just had a quick check on the internet & all they say it is medium sized & recommend it as a courgette you can take young or leave it grow on. When searching the pictures bit they just looked like oversized courgettes not very long but pretty fat so don't give up on your specimens just yet! If anyone submits a real whooper you could always ask for DNA testing? :) :) I've had hidden courgettes that were longer & fatter than the pics I saw!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic