The Giant Marrow Topic!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Steve. Too much testosterone then? . Have you been peeing on your compost heap and then digging the compost in where you're growing your marrows ??? :lol:
Westi
KG Regular

Nothing like a stuffed marrow Steve, but not the whole thing stuffed but just rings cut through & stuffed with savoury mince & sprinkled with loads of cheese, most of the water runs out of them & evaporates in the oven when cut this way so not too soggy. I've seen marrow jam at a food market before but never tried it. I'm sure there are loads of recipes out there & unfortunately/fortunately Mervin not that big yet to be too watery!
Westi
KG Steve
KG Editor

Liking the idea of the stuffed marrow Westi. Anything involving cheese is alright by me! You might have the answer.

Do you know Primrose you could be right - I hadn't thought of that! :wink:
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well i have either been brave, or more likely foolish, as i have been cutting the first marrows off......the thinking being, get bigger plants, get a bigger marrow....but maybe i will run out of time!!!! :? :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Well i have either been brave, or more likely foolish, as i have been cutting the first marrows off......the thinking being, get bigger plants, get a bigger marrow....but maybe i will run out of time!!!! :? :)

Sounds fine in theory, wonder what the result will be in practice, look forward to finding out.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The Long Bush Marrow seem to have come to a growing halt, the plants are fine and healthy looking but neighbouring plots courgettes are growing faster and bigger.
I no longer fancy my chances of a good entry in our KG competition or at the local show.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Mine has just had one flower the second one nothing but I have got a small marrow growing , I've two courgette plants but they are not in brilliant form they are healthy looking but not doing a lot
Mouse2
KG Regular

I've not been on here for ages (so long that I had forgotten both exact username and password, so have re-registered with a very similar name!), so could someone fill me in on what the marrow challenge is about?
I'm trying to grow a marrow big enough to enter in our village show in September, so am really interested to read how you are all faring :)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Mouse2 wrote:I've not been on here for ages (so long that I had forgotten both exact username and password, so have re-registered with a very similar name!), so could someone fill me in on what the marrow challenge is about?
I'm trying to grow a marrow big enough to enter in our village show in September, so am really interested to read how you are all faring :)

As I recall the original idea came about as a result of the free packet of marrow seed given away earlier this year with the magazine.
The variety was Green Long Bush. However since some either lost their packet or didn't get one it seemed to get opened to any variety of marrow.

I think the finish date is end of August, Steve Ott can you confirm please,when pictures should be posted with a tape measure showing both length and circumference.
Longest & thickest wins.

Wins what??? nothing, its a bit of fun.

Mouse2
KG Regular

Thanks, Pa. I have a lot at catching up to do regarding the forums, but as luck would have it, that's the very marrow I am growing this year. That said, I also grew them last year but came nowhere near winning with it in our village show!
robo
KG Regular

I've had one marrow on two plants I've not a lot to choose from but Billy no mates is steadily getting larger not a lot it's slow growing but it might put a spurt on near the finishing line
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

1st prize.....£100 Mr Fothergill's vouchers and a pair of WOLF-Garten RR2500 secateurs.

2nd prize....£25 Mr Fothergill's voucher and a Kitchen Garden digital subsciption.

3rd prize....£25 Mr Fotergill's vouchers.

Entries in by the 30th of August 2017

I wonder if i can enter three marrows, and scoop the lot.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:1st prize.....£100 Mr Fothergill's vouchers and a pair of WOLF-Garten RR2500 secateurs.

2nd prize....£25 Mr Fothergill's voucher and a Kitchen Garden digital subsciption.

3rd prize....£25 Mr Fotergill's vouchers.

Entries in by the 30th of August 2017

I wonder if i can enter three marrows, and scoop the lot.... :)

Thanks for straightening me out on that OH.

Worth going for, maybe I need to find a magic MarrowGro elixir to produce a miracle over the next month after all

Westi
KG Regular

Mine is alive - is there a prize for that? No flowers, about 5 leaves!

Definitely not going to be challenging you guys! Would be nice if one of our forum members got a prize though! Good Luck guys with the 'Elixir of Growth' potions! Still got a few weeks to pump them up!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Bugger wish I'd known - realised I am some of the courgettes I am growing are from the correct freebie packet - too late to bring one on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic