Grafting Tomato's

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just read the article on grafting tomatoes. Only thing missing is where one can buy the plastic grafting holders. :?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Simples,
Just google 'tomato grafting clips uk'

and ignore Mole Seeds as they have sold out.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

If you get stuck send me a pm, I've stopped using them and have a part packet.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff

Is that because its a fiddly operation.
I get the feeling I would be too ham fisted and break stems.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

I got on quite well for a while especially grafting Aubergines onto Tomato stock but then started to get failures, I think a combination of eyes and fingers. I have the same trouble trying to make up network cables and do other wiring jobs that used to be easy. The seeds of the rootstock plants are also a bit expensive to make it viable, easier to grow extra plants.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I have posted before that 4years ago I did purchase some Suttons grafted tomato plants which were massively reduced by the local garden centre to 75p each to clear them out as they had them in stock so long they had become extremely leggy.

I cannot deny that those 4 grafted plants produced the best crop of tomatoes we have ever had. Without loss of flavour.

Doing my own grafting would test my patience to the limit and beyond

Commercial prices of grafted tom plants have reduced considerably since first introduced but I still wouldn't spend the full retail price on them.

Primrose
KG Regular

I do 't think I,ve ever seen grafted tomatoes on sale at a garden centre. Is this common practice.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:I do 't think I,ve ever seen grafted tomatoes on sale at a garden centre. Is this common practice.

Your two nearest branches (and possibly a third) of Wyevale usually have them.
PM me if you don't know where they are

Edit, Four even

Westi
KG Regular

I'd love to have a go a grafting my own plants. I usually use my birthday money to buy at least one grafted tomato, pepper & aubergine. They grow so well & like Pa said no loss of flavour at all. I got an e-mail from Sutton's about a month ago & it was a flash sale of buy 2 get one free across the range, so got another tomato and pepper and a melon. All are doing extremely well! They will stay in the greenhouse though, still too expensive to buy to risk them on the allotment which is why I'd like to have a bash at DIY grafting.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Is there a website which tells you exactly how to graft to tomatoes? What do you use as rootstock?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Personally I can't see the point as I've plenty of space in the greenhouse and grow my favourite varieties - usually far too many, but I suppose they are a good idea if you want a good crop from a smaller space, and it is always interesting to try something new.

I must say I've never had much luck with grafting anything. I've read up on it and had a go, but I've never actually been shown how and I couldn't source the grafting strips so used cling film which is probably what went wrong. My most successful effort was an apple graft which was growing nicely until a starling landed on it and snapped it off.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Is there a website which tells you exactly how to graft to tomatoes? What do you use as rootstock?

Hi Primrose. I know I refer to it quite often, mainly because it usually works :)

Try Google or whatever search engine you use.
I typed "Grafting Tomatoes " in Google and it came up with a few

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Geoff. Thanks for the offer. After speaking to someone who had tried it. I don't think I will bother.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic