Parky this morning

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Steve
KG Editor

My seedlings were shivering and I had to spray the apple blossom this morning because of the frost here in the E Midlands. Was it the same for you? Beautiful morning now though.
Fleece.jpg
Fleece.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 2836 times
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Primrose
KG Regular

Desperate measures - I didn,t have any suitable fleece to protect my pea seedlings just peeping through so we are now eating rhubarb again today! I picked off all the leaves and used them as a protective covering.together with a few yellowing leaves from kale tossed on the compost heap. Seems to have worked !
KG Steve
KG Editor

That's inspired Primrose! I'll remember that trick!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
KG Steve
KG Editor

I mentioned the apple blossom above. My trees do seem to be full of bloom this year. Just hoping the frost won't spoil it. The pear had just finished though, so that's OK.

By the way. I can't get any of my pictures to show the right way up! I haven't moved to Australia - just don't have the technical know-how! Any advice gratefully received! :oops:

kgman.jpg
kgman.jpg (284.28 KiB) Viewed 2801 times
Last edited by peter on Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rotated picture
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Primrose
KG Regular

I share your frustration. I sometimes send garden photos from my ohone or iPad to a couple of chums and they complain they have to join a yoga class and stand on their heads before being able to view them !
Diane
KG Regular

Really really want to start planting out my cosmos, etc. Must not! So tempting. It's so hot and sunny today in Wimborne - just been to the garden centre (again) and come home with a boot full of lovelies.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The frost certainly wasn't as bad as they had predicted, but i had covered a lot of things with fleece and pulled soil up over my potatoes, so i think i have got away with most things.

I wonder who told Steve about there being a frost first thing this morning..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My blossom isn't out yet, but we didn't have a frost last night for a change
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Steve!

Most of my photos turn out the wrong way from my phone, but there is a wee Miracle Man on here that rights them for me. I've gone back to my proper mini camera for lottie/plant shots now - mostly because I have limited storage on my phone & also the colours aren't quite as true, on the phone although I manage more in focus! (Tap v's Click thing).

Twas a bit parky down here as well, but other plans made for today other than lottie so will review the damage tomorrow. No frost at home but lottie is only about 1 mile & a bit away but rural with not buildings & I also posted my apple and pear blossom here optimistic for a great harvest, so fingers crossed.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic