The long bank holiday .... priorities for the garden?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

So the long bank holiday is almost here and Mr Pawty is away on a stag do. That means I get a whole four days to spend on the lotty which never happens.

So, what are the priorities? I'm thinking, finish digging out the compost bin, digging over an area, and remove some old fencing (its skip week next week). What would you prioritise?

In terms of getting some seeds in to the raised beds, need to be careful as we get a late frost. The broad beans and parsnips are in. I was thinking some carrots, spring onions, beetroot.... what else would you put in?

Back home (with a well earned g&t) potting on chillies and tomatos, start some lettuce, and broccoli... as I don't have a greenhouse, cucumbers, beans and courgettes will wait a month. But what else will you be starting??

Pawty
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm decorating son's house and hoping sister in law doesn't kill too much of what I have already done!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And i'll be busy covering all the tender plants over, ready for the frosts.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Diane
KG Regular

I shall be mostly trying to get into my greenhouse :?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Diane wrote:I shall be mostly trying to get into my greenhouse :?

I have to remove stuff in order to get into mine.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Just to continue weeding! Boring I know, but will no doubt veer off that decision if it is warmer than expected or colder! And lucky me has next week off too! (But weeds don't know that)!
The PSB have gone into flower so they have to come out & they will be the last of my winter crop out, so will be in no man's land - except for my over wintered lettuces & some tattered leeks!

I've nursed lettuce through the winter - result or what? I thought they would go into flower but they are not showing signs of that but I know it is a fine line!
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Great news....I've rehomed some plantlets and now have a path of approx 4" width , in the greenhouse. Tricky.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
richard p
KG Regular

about time to get the strimmer out to attack some of the stinging nettles in the flower beds, but the wild bees were on the ones in flower yesterday

got some broadbeans in pots that need transplanting

car boot sale should be on on sunday so might go to see what tomatoe plants are on offer.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Richard P, that seems a fair way of dealing with the weeds in the flower bed... :)

robo
KG Regular

Tomorrow is rugby day apart from feeding the chickens that's my day done ,Saturday is rotovating day we have been delayed on my wife's cancer treatment now it starts Tuesday for six weeks so I suppose Sunday and Monday will be tidy up days
Monika
KG Regular

Weather permitting, I will sow the first peas outside and the second lot of broad beans ins root trainers, also lots of herbs in the greenhouse, maybe some hardy annuals on the allotment.

We'll most likely stick around the village because all the roads and lanes will be exceedingly busy with visitors.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Robo, i do hope all goes well with your Wife's treatment..... you have had more than your fair share of bad news over the last year. Life can seem pretty unfair at times!

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Best wishes for the better half Robo
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

This is the first Easter we will have actually spent at home for a number of years so I'm hoping we can start doing a little domestic decluttering although Mr Primrose and I have a rather different concept on how far this activity extends, he very much belonging to the "I'm not throwing this away. it might come in useful one day" brigade ! So I have no great expectations.

I'm wondering if it's too early to start sowing my climbing beans in compost filled loo rolls, to be germinated on my window sill?
I can never remember the realistic time to allow between sowing and planting out .

And I've noticed the oxalis and alkanet weeds are starting to take off again despite the dry weather so I suspect a fair amount of painstaking hand weeding is going to be on the agenda at some point!
Primrose
KG Regular

Robo. Fingers crossed your wife's treatment. As OH has said, life has thrown more than a fair share of rocks at you in the past year so we will all hope for a good outcome on this one. It,s probably difficult to concentrate on other things when this is lurking in the background but being outdoors with nature, especially if the sun is shining is often good therapy for an anxious mind.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic