Sugar free

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

When I retired I was sent for my MOT and I failed, over weight and not coping with sugar, so nearly 2 years later and 3 stone lighter(still weigh 16 stone, though I am a 6 foot 4 inch ex rugby player) I am now off all my blood pressure tablets and the sugar levels are spot on.
I am however on a pretty strict 5% or less sugar diet, I'm doing pretty well though I do miss my honey(I think I'm related to Winnie the Poo), use a lot Stevia instead of sugar to sweeten cooked thing and I have found some sugar free biscuits to have a couple with my coffee(decaff of course). Trouble is I'm sure the box has more flavour(and probably nutrition too), anyone else on the sugar free kick, I have to eat like a diabetic, although thankfully I am not. Home cooking recipes for sugar free jams or syrups for the black currents and berries in particular would be welcome.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

I've never been a big sugar fan but when I had the heart attack I was told not to take salt and not to eat pineapples or cranberries I'm not bothered about cranberries I use to like pineapples but salt I did over indulge with sea salt my favorite
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Not used salt for a long time, ditto butter, will soon be eating just cardboard at this rate!!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You're doing well sticking to such a strict diet. How do you work out 5% of everything you eat? I try to avoid processed foods so I know how much sugar and salt (if any) I add and most of what I eat is home grown, but I do prefer butter to margarine and I have an occasional lapse and have some hazelnut chocolate or a stem ginger cookie from Lidl.

I'm sorry I can't help with any sugar free recipes.

I've always had a very active lifestyle and been able to eat whatever I liked without putting weight on, but now I'm in my 60s I'm finding it much more difficult despite eating an overall healthy diet, going to the gym twice a week, walking and gardening, so I've decided I'll have to adjust the portion sizes.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Most packeted/tinned items handily give you the sugar content, just takes 2 hours to do a 20 minute shop these days. There are certain items that are aimed at diabetics, but I have still watch the sugar content as I'm not on insulin to regulate. What makes things murkier is the difference between sucrose and fructose, though as was advised to watch my fruit intake.
Westi
KG Regular

Mr Westi is overweight ,had a quadruple bypass, diabetic, had a diabetic foot ulcer that kept him off longer than the bypass & shopping is a nightmare - totally agree tiger! Kind off think the confusion is intentional at times.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

My idea is to continue to grow things I like and eat at their optimum, I don't pickle things and freeze very little, the summer can see me feed myself in the garden without going into the kitchen for anything, even the wine was made by me last year.
ginia
KG Regular

I don't know much about sugar-free diets either. I have eaten home grown food and I have always had a healthy lifestyle. I use raw honey as a sweetener. It has a couple of benefits like helping with digestion and is a good source of anti-oxidants.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigerburnie,
This time last year I weighed just over 15 stone 8 pounds and I now weigh 11 stone 10 pounds and I was borderline diabetic and the practice nurse gave me a talking-to and explained that sugar buggers-up the pancreas so that it cannot work properly so try and give it up. I went 9 days without sugar in my tea and I was no longer enjoying my my'cuppa' so decided to take sweetweners in my tea and since then my weight has contined to fall.
I hasten to add that I am an ex rugby player and I now weigh less than I did when I was 15. The last blood test I had I no longer had diabetes so the pancreas appears to be now working for me instead of against me. I have not had to go to the lengths that you appea tor have so probably I have kind-of hit the happy medium.
Do you feel better for all your labours because I do and although sugar is supposed to give you energy without it I seem to have more energy.
By the way as of last Thursday I have been growing vegetables for 74 years although I admit I grow the plants and one of my stalwarts does the planting out now but it has been the joy of my life.
May you continue to grow for many more years.
Sincerely,
JB.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Who did you play rugby for Johnboy? I played for Wigston, from Leicestershire, now called Leicester Lions in National 2 north.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tigerburnie,
I started playing for Sarcens Colts at 14 until I became an RAF Appentice when I has almost 16 and played for them and the RAF but must admit that was only when they were short of players! I now, at my age, only watch on Television but with very fond memories.
JB.
JB.
vivienz
KG Regular

My mum was diabetic and for a special dessert I used to make panna cotta with artificial sweetener and blueberry compote with a tiny bit of whatever sweetener she preferred. The blueberry compote is useful as it needs very little added sweet stuff.

Blackberry and lime cheesecake is also a good one and looks very pretty - follow all the usual methods but swap the sugar for something else and keep the quantity of biscuits for the base as low as possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic