Temptingly early Spring Bits and Bobs.- 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Got four perforated lengths of galvanised steel last year from another plotholder who didn't want the compost heap they formed as a square.
I think they are some sort of industrial shelf, anyways, 17" wide, they are making an excellent edging to stop the track crumbling into my plot.

IMG_20170317_165354.jpg
IMG_20170317_165354.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 3988 times
IMG_20170317_165316.jpg
IMG_20170317_165316.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3988 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
peter
KG Regular

Cleared a barrow of parsnips and rotovated the front quarter of one of my two plots. Discovered some root vegetables whose tops had rptted away. :oops:

IMG_20170317_165417.jpg
IMG_20170317_165417.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3987 times
IMG_20170317_165340.jpg
IMG_20170317_165340.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 3987 times
IMG_20170317_165329.jpg
IMG_20170317_165329.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 3987 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

Geoff
KG Regular

Having just been down the garden to cover the propagator lights got me wondering, when it is pouring with rain and blowing a gale do you get wetter walking or running? 17.5 mm today and counting.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

If you're moving towards the rain, it doesn't matter.
If you're moving away from the rain, you should get less wet.
If the rain is sideways on, run or walk like a crab.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

peter wrote:Got four perforated lengths of galvanised steel last year from another plotholder who didn't want the compost heap they formed as a square.
I think they are some sort of industrial shelf, anyways, 17" wide, they are making an excellent edging to stop the track crumbling into my plot.

IMG_20170317_165354.jpgIMG_20170317_165316.jpg

Peter that galvanised steel is cable tray, hung from walls and on rods from ceilings, you lay electrical cables on it and then pass cable ties through the slots to clip everything on. I got told off once for running along some of that hung 50 feet up in the air pulling a new cable in.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:Peter that galvanised steel is cable tray, hung from walls and on rods from ceilings, you lay electrical cables on it and then pass cable ties through the slots to clip everything on. I got told off once for running along some of that hung 50 feet up in the air pulling a new cable in.

Doh!

Feel like a right fool now. :oops:
See the stuff regularly, but usually from underneath.
It's pretty thick this stuff.

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Great re cycling Peter, unless you were an electrician, you'd not be familiar with it, I worked in maintenance for about half my working life.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

After coping with nature for sixteen years I finally instructed the local mole catcher, I never caught a mole in my whole life.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Mara des Bois arrived today, now planted in the wooden window boxes and sat in the greenhouse, looking forward to trying these.
Mara des Bois.jpg
Mara des Bois.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 3889 times
Last edited by tigerburnie on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter
KG Regular

Knackered. :D

9 till 3pm at rugby club helping construct an extension to our marquee base. :D
Dig out, membrane, type 2 crushed concrete, sand, then astroturf.
Marquee is a framed one, no central poles or long guy ropes.
Thank heavens for a middle sized digger and a man very skilled in it's use.
9m x 12m x a big spade depth, 50 tons of crush, nine tons of sand, not enough sand, so we fenced it off from tomorrow's minis.

Home, sofa to tip, back to allotment and 3.5 hours rotovator with my Merry Tiller. :) :)
So glad I have an imitation light bulb led light in the shed, scraping the MT down in the dusk, I'd never have managed the chain and padlock without it.

Stephen
KG Regular

That's a lot of work Peter, I'm tired just reading of your exploits.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Stephen wrote:That's a lot of work Peter, I'm tired just reading of your exploits.

Yes Peter, me too up to three years ago. This year I only get around five hours light work out of myself and I have 100 bare root hedge plants to get in the ground.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, as we get older it seems that every spring it gets a little harder and the joints are a little more creaky trying to get into gear after the winter break. Get one nice sunny day and we all rush out, do too much and crock ourselves up for a week !
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I think I started to feel a little better after seeing the sun a few times, I also took some iron in the form of iron rich water sachets mixed with apple juice. Left to my own devises I tend to revert to the vegetarian I have been over forty years and whilst iron is present in a vegetarian diet you do have to make sure to identify it.

Also, I'm still unsure about the effects of opiate withdrawal. online information can be very dodgy and doctors who can help are few.

I did five hours yesterday servicing my ride on mower, I would normally regard that as light work but I was knackered when I got into a hot bath at around one o'clock.

I may be suffering some psychosomatic aches and pains, I've been checked out by Xray and MRI on all my lower joints. Nothing is amiss, a back problem I share with possibly everyone I meet isn't worth my attempts for sympathy so I'll just 'GET-ON-WITH-IT.

How is the best way to use bonemeal and on what other than my bare root plants ? Im warned not to allow it to touch any roots or part of plant yet even digging it in could result in contact. I will be ordering some on Monday but I'm buying 25 kilos because it's half the price compared to small quantities and presumably I can find a use for 25 kilos over the next few years. 25 kilos is £20 delivered, one kilo in polythene is £3.50 plus delivery which makes it about £10 for one kilo.
Richard.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

What's the rugby club Peter, ex player myself.
Locked Previous topicNext topic