Temptingly early Spring Bits and Bobs.- 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I sowed my tumbling tomato seeds this morning so they can germinate on the windowsill as they always crop earlier than the indeterminates which I won't sow until April.

Normally at this time of year I'm itching to get going and sowing and have my veg patch planting plan all worked but this year I seem to have lost some of my enemgy and enthusiasm and haven't really given much thought to what I plan to grow. Hopefully when we get a warm sunny spell my motivation will start clicking into place.
peter
KG Regular

First bit of plot work this year!

Added six foot to my concrete post and gravel board plot divider and dug 6' × 15' next to it.
Reclaimed seven paving slabs from the site tip.
Relatively warm day as well. :D

Fed up with the local druggy youths, why do they have to smoke skunk in the hedge near our site, stinks. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

My phone weather has changed from showers to cloudy so looks like I can get a bit more done tomorrow (if it isn't telling me porky pies). Plan is to weed & re-mulch the raspberry bed as what I put down at the beginning of winter is pretty much gone & grass is growing through the bald spots.

Then I have a couple of wee projects - I want to build my tomato enclosure but find a full roof cover instead of shade cloth to keep the blight out - the challenge in that is finding a way to secure it so it doesn't blow away. My other project is to build a cucumber frame, just a slanting frame they can grow up and I can underplant. (I do wish we had some security to be staying so I could buy a permanent structure).

Should be fun, says 'Mrs No Nails' who has no 'No Nails left', but fortunately I'm pretty handy with cable ties as well! :) :)
Stay tuned for the disaster tale tomorrow....
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi the first greenhouse I had was made out of 2x1 timber batten and covered in clear pollythene that lasted 2 years before the wind damaged it
Monika
KG Regular

We have now caught 10 mice in the shed and garage. The shed is now mouse-proof but they are still squeezing under the garage door to get in, not surprising really, considering the dry stone walls around us are populated by them, but I do wish they would stay there! All traces or possible food have been removed or are in safe containers.
I am taking them well away from the house and they would have to negotiate a large stretch of rough ground, a water-filled ditch, a steep wooded bank, a dry stone wall and a road to get back, so I think (and hope!) that they are not finding their way home.
Primrose
KG Regular

I wouldn't bank on them not finding their way home Monika. When you see how quickly the little perishers can move, they will probably be back on home territory before you ! Can mice swim I wonder? If so, the water filled ditch will probably not present much of a hazard !
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Having endured bronchitis for the last few weeks I took advantage of the fact Mrs S had gone to Crufts for gundog day yesterday. I actually felt up to venturing out and getting some photographs of steam hauled train travelling on mainline to Bristol

As train pulled into siding to take on water the sun came out of hiding, 100 pics and a couple of video clips later the train departed having taken on approx. 1800 gallons of water.

I took advantage of getting out and paid a visit to the plot during the return home.
Not been up there since 19th Feb.

Was amazed to find it in good order, it even looked tidy.
Decided I was feeling up to doing a small amount of work on the plot today.
HUH !!!! typical best laid plans and all that.......................its P P P persistently raining this morning

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

It hasn't stopped raining here since Friday early hours and still forecast for a few hours, I'm having logs delivered around 10am. Drizzle rather than PPP down.

Bronchitis for a few weeks sounds exhausting Pa, I worry about being poorly like that because of my dog. Fortunately I don't often get poorly, probably because of my isolation. If her-indoors brings something with her i quarantine myself.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

I think your physical isolation probably does protect you a lot Richard from all the bugs and viruses which are continually circulating in winter when you think of the number of times the average urban dweller comes into close contact with others in supermarkets, shops, pubs, etc. not to mention what they can pick up on an aircraft in its closed environment with air being recirculated.
Mind you, I always think the most unhealthy place to be in winter is probably your GP's surgery. With all the coughing and spluttering which goes on there on an average day, if you haven't got a bug when you go in, you've probably picked it up by the time you leave.
I thought you'd been a little quiet lately Pa. Do hope you're recovering now and not pushing yourself too hard. A bad bout of Bronchitis can knock the physical stuffing out of you.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:It hasn't stopped raining here since Friday early hours and still forecast for a few hours, I'm having logs delivered around 10am. Drizzle rather than PPP down.

Bronchitis for a few weeks sounds exhausting Pa, I worry about being poorly like that because of my dog. Fortunately I don't often get poorly, probably because of my isolation. If her-indoors brings something with her i quarantine myself.

Totally exhausting.
Not assisted by now having to live with weakened immune system.

Somehow I have to get back up that plot and work on my energy levels yet again

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Pa Snip, i have been thinking about you but, i know you are not one for dwelling on problems, so have left things be...But i do hope the energy levels are soon rising for you.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Cheers OH

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Chin up Pa, gardening(of the light variety) is a great healer I've found
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Tiger,

Those who have got to know me over the last couple of years know I don't settle for "light Variety". All or nothing, that's me.

I just play, and keep trying to win at, "beat the medics and the alien within"

Primrose
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Hi Tiger,

Those who have got to know me over the last couple of years know I don't settle for "light Variety". All or nothing, that's me.

In that case Pawty had better watch out as Pa might be arriving imminently in his wellies to help shovel that great pile of manure. He seems to have quite an addiction to it ! :D
Locked Previous topicNext topic