Frogspawn announcement.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Nothing in ours yet no doubt they will be here shortly we normally have around seventeen pairs all croaking away twenty four hours a day
Primrose
KG Regular

Solitary frog obviously had a visitor last night as I found a solitary batch of frogspawn this morning. Wonder what has happened to all the other frogs though.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If it's the same as around here Primrose, it's all down to the Herons predating on them....very annoying.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

My pond produced a second batch of frogspawn last night and its safely protected now. When I checked the water at around 3 pm yesterday there were no frogs in it at all so do they just go to the water specifically for the mating act and then leave? No frogs in there just now when I checked just now around 3 pm so do they usually migrate during the dark I wonder?
Diane
KG Regular

Yes, I think they only go into the pond to mate and make frogspawn...and then they leave the pond and hide away in damp places.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

Our first frogspawn arrived about 5 days ago and now there's lots. As every year, I took a tub full of spawn to the local play group yesterday where the children like watching the tadpoles and froglets develop. They will then bring them all back to our pond for the rest of their lives.
robo
KG Regular

We have around six frog's making whoopie at present but I'm expecting at least another ten to turn up over the next few days
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The first frog spawn appeared I my small pond yesterday and I expect the large pond to be teeming in the next few days as I've counted over 40 very noisy frogs. I've gathered three live frogs up from the road near my gate which were heading (I assume) for my pond. I think two of them were female and felt a bit guilty putting them with all the marauding males.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It's a lovely morning, Monday, and the frogs, almost 50 of them now have been croaking and jumping about since daybreak. They have laid the first spawn in the large pond this morning and I'm sure they will be in full production for the next few days.

Has anyone else noticed that there are far more male frogs than females and is this usual?
Last edited by PLUMPUDDING on Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primrose
KG Regular

I've gone from fearing I would have none to ending up with far more than my tiny pond could accommodate so have given some away. They say frogs return to the pond from which they emigrated from so these little ones will have a rather long hop, skip and jump if they're to return from their frogspawn migratory birth place, rather than the pond where they hatched !

As a matter of interest what happens to the "jelly" when it finally dissolves. Does it have some protective nutritious element which feeds the tiny wrigglers in some way, adding to the nutrition of the water, or does it just form more "rubbish" which accumulates on the base of the pond?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic