Late Winter Bits and Bobs - 2017.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Said a fond farewell to my faithful Nokia 6310 mobile phone yesterday. It fell out of my pocket on the top landing and hit the bottom stair one time too many. It has happened a few times before.
Split the battery.
I shouldn't have given away my spare battery 6 years ago. I thought I had more than one.

Luckily the Nokia C3-C1 that I dropped down the loo a good few years back and then packed in rice has dried out fine and is once again working ok it seems.
The phone did get extremely hot yesterday as I was charging it, I had plugged the wrong mains charger into it. Nearly a big ooops as I had been out, leaving it on charge, and when I returned it was gettting too hot to handle.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Summer is here tonight is the start of summer rugby ,super league starts tonight with my team kicking the season off
peter
KG Regular

Here it's been trying to snow all day and as the evening darkened the success rate went up.
Not settling, and little pellets rather than flakes, but still making pretty patterns in the outdoor lights. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It's all white out there this morning, but only a sprinkling....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Same here OH, miserable weather, wish it would snow properly or not st all.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Grey, overcast and cold wind.
Ground damp first thing, almost indicative of having tried to snow or rain but not really achieved either.
No sign of overnight frost.
May (but only may) venture forth and see if I can get garlic planted into a raised bed and cover it with a cold frame.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Sleet even here today! Off to lottie tomorrow to finish off some jobs, phone says 5 degrees but feels like 2 degrees. That will do with a bit of work will soon warm myself up! Glad of this really as still have a few whitefly hidden in crevices of my brassica's & want them gone before it warms up & they breed again!
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Phone lied! It was 2 degrees, and did feel like 2 degrees!

Got lots done, despite the dog company & tennis balls in the weed trug to dig out when thrown into the compost. Cleared under all the fruit trees, one soft fruit bed weeded and topped up with new compost & strawberry runners that I potted up put in there. 3 onions beds weeded & dressed with wood ash.

I'm confident I can finish what I started so am going down again tomorrow - plan is lottie 2 finished during my week off, obviously without the dog company. Found fresh rat droppings in the shed so have to factor in a day to empty & clean that out thoroughly & find their entrance in & seal it & a couple of jollies with the ladies - busy week then! :)
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Our annual big stock delivery next Saturday for our Allotment Association Shop.
Pallets of compost, grow bags and garden chemicals.

So despite the miserable sleet I was happily shifting piles of stuff in the big shed, consolidating old stock down one side and clearing three quarters of the back wall ready for three pallet sized piles.
Evicted the four straw bales to a tumbledown, but dry, shed out the back.

Means no lie in next Saturday, regardless of the weather. :?

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

You lot are far more robust than me though I seem to have coped with cold better in previous years, I managed two hours of severe pruning on part of the sea buckthorn wind break and thats been all I've done. Im afraid I allowed the sea buckthorn to grow to about four foot high in my eagerness for a hedge, it appears I should have hacked it down severely after the first season. Bummer, I hope it survives the hacking. Not all plants grow shoots out of old wood, I'm hoping this does but I can't find much information on pruning sea buckthorn other than pruning for fruiting. I want a dense hedge. Not looking hard enough eh ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Hedges Direct might offer advice if you say you are thinking of buying some.

If you have any questions on this species, please contact us. You can phone us on 01257 263873 (we're here 7 days a week, until 7pm weekdays in peak autumn and spring seasons), email us at [email protected] or if you'd like to speak on the phone but would like us to pay for the phone call (and why not!) then use our Request a Call Back facility.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Looks as if we are in for some very nice, Spring like weather this week.....now who's going to fall for Mother natures little trap? :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff, I will try them. I already called the people I bought them from but couldn't get past someone who clearly wasn't an expert, I can take a guess. From information I got from a Canadian fruit farm they show that the plant sends out underground suckers so all is not lost. This row of bushes on the north side I cut down to around eighteen inches already and doubt they will throw shoots from the trunks, rather they will throw shoots from last years wood is my guess.

Oh hell, Ive been a plonker.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Dull, misty but dry up here and a bit warmer, had some pretty rough east winds over the weekend, but doesn't seem to have damaged anything.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

We now have a windy and cool spring day, 12 degrees. Amazing.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic