Sharpening secateurs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Barry
KG Regular

Is it OK to use a sharpening steel on secateurs? I have one of these in the kitchen drawer and need to sharpen my secateurs as cheaply as possible.

Are there any shops out there - Timpson's? - that offer secateur sharpening services?
John
KG Regular

Hello Barry
I use a flat boat shaped sharpening stone. It works well and gives an excellent edge. They are widely available for a few quid - get the finest grade you can though. Only sharpen the beveled edge of the cutting blade on bypass secateurs.
Regards
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
robo
KG Regular

Barry, over the years I've bought all kinds of sharpeners mainly to keep my fishing knives Sharp ,at present I use 2 different types one is a diamond sharpener it's very good but I can't remember the price I paid the other was around £5 both from Amazon it is made by draper it is green in colour with a tungsten piece on the end it is well worth having
Barry
KG Regular

Thanks Robo. Found it on ebay for £6.99 and have ordered one!
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

My mum in law always keeps a small felco ceramic sharpening stone on her - uses it daily pruning the vines and would never be without it. So, I now have the same. It's brilliant!

Pawty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic