Bread making corner

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Todays bread Just before being slashed and baked then baked. I use a liner in the tin because the dough was on the wet side and its one of those tins with lots of holes, Not a good idea for wet dough. I wish I hadn't bought them, the tins I bought at the bread course are much better but I only bought small tins.
Attachments
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg (101.92 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
IMG_1084.jpg
IMG_1084.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That looks delicious Richard wish I was coming for tea.
Westi
KG Regular

That looks lush to me!

Been on Amazon to find the bigger sizes in the tins from the course? I don't think there is much they don't sell, even if it comes via USA or China! :)
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Your bread looks amazing!

Been incredibly busy with work but today I managed to put a slow cooked lamb stew in the slow cooker and what better to go with it than bread - which I put on during my lunch break.

My guide to making bread for people who have no skill and don't mind what it looks like....

Put 500 g strong white flour (Aldi) in the magimix, add 2 teaspoons of salt and a pack of yeast. Mix. Add just over half a pint of warm water. Mix. Leave for a couple of hours (or three if you forgot you were making bread like I did). Oven on to 210' to heat. Meanwhile tip the mix on to a board which has olive oil rubbing in. Hit it back a bit, fold a bit, stick in on a baking tray (floured) and put in the oven for 15 min. Then another 16 min at 200'. Then voili - bread which is an odd shape, but tastes good with stew!
Attachments
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG (395.09 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

That bread looks very good, but Magimix for making dough is new to me which illustrates why I created this thread.

To pick up differences that work.

The large holes suggest a loose dough yet you made a free-form loaf which doesn't usually work with a loose dough which suggests your Magimix technique worked the gluten just right and I must try this, thank you very much.

Also if you hadn't already told us you knocked it back I would have guessed that you just carefully gathered the dough, placed it in a pile, then baked it.

Bizarre, but lovely and again thank you for the contribution. Which blade did you use in the Magimix ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:Todays bread Just before being slashed and baked then baked. I use a liner in the tin because the dough was on the wet side and its one of those tins with lots of holes, Not a good idea for wet dough. I wish I hadn't bought them, the tins I bought at the bread course are much better but I only bought small tins.

Do you deliver ?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

R with an H, are those leaky bread tins made by the same company who makes leaky flowerpots
Last edited by Pa Snip on Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Deliver ? From this far west ? Sorry, though if you were closer you would get a sample just to encourage you to baking your own.

Those leaky tins are supposedly to allow hot air through so the loaf bakes more evenly. It only works if you create a stiff dough because a soft dough gets through the holes.

Softer is better.

Just to reiterate, I'm amazed that a Magimix with what I assume was a symmetric paddle made a good dough. The problem with the Kenwood asymmetric paddle is that it just rolls the dough around the bowl unless you intervene in some way. My bread mixer has a distinctly one sided paddle and stop-start procedure that needs no help.

Great thing about the bread mixer is that most of the prep time is unattended though to be honest I wouldn't use one if we hadn't already bought one, expensive and just another gadget when a bowl and a pair of hands do a good job. I hate mixing dough with my hands.
Richard.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

OK I am now thinking of buying a bread maker.I notice they start at around £65 quid and then the sky's the limit. Has anyone used the LAKELAND £65 quid model. the Memsahib and I do not need large loaves.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Sitting in our kitchen we have what some might regard as a relic of the bread making world.
A Morphy Richards bread maker, purchased for £45 back in 2004.

Probably never been used more than a single figure number of times over those 12 years.
Despite following the instruction / recipe book to the letter it never once produced, to our minds, a decent loaf. Edible (just sometimes) yes, but whereas we advocate how fresh and tasty vegetables are from the plot and how much better they are than shop purchased we do not practice that home produced ideology when it comes to bread.

I envy those who can make a good loaf at home

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I think this depends on how much you want to rely on the machine to take you through to the final product. I only use the machine to create dough, then tip it out, into a former or tin and bake because I don't want the strange shape the machines bake and leave the paddle in the bread. Someone else on this forum has been using a cheaper breadmaker, from Aldi I think.

Go dough only for £65.
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Pa, I can take you through to a good bread. Do you have a loaf tin ? If not, that's ok but I need to know. Give your machine a clean and don't use soap in the brea pan.

Make sure it's working, like warming up in the dough only setting. Then mixing. The dough only settings range from two and half to three hours.

If it makes you better my bread mixer/machine is 20 years old. Panasonic. Was a £100.

This is me enthusing you.
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

AWW Thanks Richard, appreciate the thought on your part but to be honest its not high on our priority list anymore.
I get tempted now and again to have a go at making some in the oven but haven't tried as yet. Maybe one day.

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ok-ok, calm down. Like I said bread making is easy but only after you made enough mistakes and persevered, once you get to making a good bread you won't buy bread unless you are close to an artisan bakery.

The good thing about a bread maker is that the dough only program gives you a dough that is correctly needed. A lot of people making bread either don't need enough, or too much.

The recipe and procedure illustrated by Pawty in a previous post is as good as it gets though he/she got the mix timing perfect to get a bread like in the photo. That bread will be light and hold lots of lovely butter.

Pawty bread ?
Richard.
robo
KG Regular

The last bread maker we had was made by bush it never failed as long as I stuck to the recipe the new one is from aldi and it just the opposite I've never made a decent loaf in it even using the Bush recipe book. Alas bush are no more
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic