Mid-winter Bits and Bobs - 2016/17

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

I think OH is still sleeping off his big Christmas dinner, so I thought I would start the new thread:

We had minus 5C last night but then brilliant sunshine all day. Travelling over the moor roads to go shopping this morning was quite magical with sheep trails across the frozen pastures and the frost like icing sugar on the dry stone walls. It's warming up now and tomorrow looks more like a misty, cloudy day.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was just about to do it, Monika...you beat me to it... :)

The frost hung about nearly all day here, and very pretty it looked too.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I was just about to do it, Monika...you beat me to it... :)

The frost hung about nearly all day here, and very pretty it looked too.

Patience is a virtue, ................................................... or maybe a virtuoso.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Just had the fog & sea mist come in down here, it actually never lifted completely all day. I can currently see the houses opposite but not those behind them. I do like the way it softens the street lights & gives them a halo. Rain coming Sunday so will have to nip down tomorrow to cover my burn pile, but it will be wet from the fog anyway, but hopefully not totally soggy.

Pa it that your shed? What colour grey is that? Do like it.
Westi
peter
KG Regular

Foggy yesterday but the sun burnt through most of it, today it hasn't lifted at all and a maximum of 3°C.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

Today has been the best day of the last four but everywhere is still frozen yesterday was bright but freezing all day, altered the chicken run today I have 2 old pollycarb sheets around 6 x 3 feet I use these to give the chickens a bit of protection from rain I have moved them to just outside the laying shed I've also made a drop down entrance hatch I'm now waiting for the mechanism to open and close it , apart from that the third trap I orderd was delivered I now have three baited traps, interesting thing the guy that let the polecat escape has been googling and has decided it is a pine Martin which are an endangered species
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Just had the fog & sea mist come in down here, it actually never lifted completely all day. I can currently see the houses opposite but not those behind them. I do like the way it softens the street lights & gives them a halo. Rain coming Sunday so will have to nip down tomorrow to cover my burn pile, but it will be wet from the fog anyway, but hopefully not totally soggy.

Pa it that your shed? What colour grey is that? Do like it.

Yes it is my shed, the colour is called Willow. It is a light shade of green by Cuprinol.
I am tempted to do more stripes of the county cream to make it look like a beach hut, just to see how many follow suit on the site. I am actually looking out for a lifebelt to fix to the door.

Horrible damp fog here all day, did not lift at all. Drive home after picking Mrs S up from work was nightmare. Not much traffic on the country lanes though.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Well Pa - who said you can't have a beach hut! Go for it! Hmm Willow! Might have to get a paint swatch to check whether they do an indoor paint colour like it, thinking I'm liking it more than the Wild Sage I chose for the lounge, & the country cream instead of brilliant white for the wood work. (Best break that to Mr Westi gently - got 13 test pot colours on the wall already!

(That probably won't include a beach hut down here on Hengistbury Head for a can of country cream paint of course)! :) :)
BTW - I posted a 45 degree angle pic in funnies, getting better though, not upside down!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A strange lot of Birthdays today.....

alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:A strange lot of Birthdays today.....

And they're mostly 31 :!:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alan, the forum still throws up the odd surprise for us, even after all these years......but none nicer than to see a post from you, this morning :)

Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:A strange lot of Birthdays today.....

And all bar one joined in 2016.
The one exception joined in 2015 and has made two posts.

Originally trying to post sneaky advertising links perhaps.

peter
KG Regular

If they'd done that they'd have been deleted. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

True Peter but they all appear to have websites that I for one am not going to click on the link to.

Monika
KG Regular

Yes, nice to hear from you, Alan. I was only thinking the other day that you had been missing for a bit! Hope life is treating you ok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic