Mid-winter Bits and Bobs - 2016/17

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Tony
KG Regular

Whilst reluctantly cleaning out the pantry over the weekend I happened up on two 'Germidour' garlic bulbs that I had obviously bought in the autumn but must have dropped down the back. Anyway, spent some of yesterday afternoon happily planting out two rows. The sun was out, the sky was wonderfully clear - it felt positively balmy (OK , bit of an exaggeration there!) but the frost had faded and the soil was workable and it felt that spring was maybe... not too far away!

The moral of this story: Always do what you wife tells you. :)
Monika
KG Regular

KG Tony wrote: it felt positively balmy (OK , bit of an exaggeration there!)

Well, it WAS positively balmy on our allotment yesterday. I started off wearing a sweatshirt, scarf and fleecy, but soon stripped down to working in a t-shirt with short sleeves. And it was quite warm enough to do so. But I don't think our frost (-2C) had been nearly as hard as 'down south'. The best thing was the lack of wind which doesn't happen very often on our plot.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Monika wrote: The best thing was the lack of wind which doesn't happen very often on our plot.

I put it down to the volume of sprouts eaten at this time of year.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

It's probably more likely the Jerusalem artichokes, Pa Snip!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Been a nice bright day here today in Berkshire, blue sky, a touch windy which was certainly a chill one.
No sign, so far, of the threatened snow although grey clouds are building up at 4:15pm as daylight comes to an end

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

We had a sprinkling of snow here for about 20 minutes mid morning but that is thankfully all we've seen of the white stuff although there was a bitter wind
Pa Snip
KG Regular

This is my "Michael Fish" moment...................................... I don't think we are going to have any snow overnight here

robo
KG Regular

Bitter cold all day we had a sprinkling of snow overnight there is more forecast but as the blind man said. I can't see it
Monika
KG Regular

Woke up to a white world this morning, in fact, it was still blizzarding at 6.30 but luckily then stopped. The sun thawed some of it, but as we are on the hill, albeit south facing, our road is still covered in ice and the few passing cars crawl past very, very slowly.
We put up a new bird feeder today and within minutes it was visited by blue and coal tits, bullfinches, a robin, house sparrow and two starlings. Now we are hoping the other usual visitors will find it as well, but hopefully not the feral pigeons!

Will pop to the allotment tomorrow and see if the shed, bean frames etc have survived the storm on Wednesday.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It was snowing really heavily here at 9 am, as i was trying to repair some electric fencing....quite challenging i must admit.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well hopefully, if the weather is kind with no rain, i will be able to crack on with the Winter digging next week. i have done about half of it, so it will be nice to get it completed, just in case we do get snow in the next coming weeks.
I still have some manure to barrow and spread, but can get that done at anytime.

Is everyone else on top of all their jobs?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Re last question. NO.

Ground far to cold to dig over. Like you I still have manure to dig in, although it has been spread over appropriate areas.

Rotavator has sprung a fuel leak at the point where you prime the fuel. No doubt getting that repaired will hold me up further.

Westi
KG Regular

Weekend fine, no rain for several days before - I can feel a burn coming on! Mr Westi is a tad excited - I've been told to prune the fruit trees as they are going on the heap! Shame Tim is back on earth, I think he would have enjoyed a point in space to orientate him!
Westi
peter
KG Regular

It was -5°C here this morning and despite the clouds is getting cold again this evening.

The sunrise from work eight stories up in North London compensated a fair bit for the cold.

FB_IMG_1484771421036.jpg
FB_IMG_1484771421036.jpg (22.47 KiB) Viewed 3978 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Frost here, but now glorious sunshine.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic