Cost of postage.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

55p to send a Xmas card. On your bike GPO. Will send email Xmas cards and make a donation to "Help For Heroes"
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

55p is very reasonable to have something real delivered to any address in the U.K.
When I was little the cost of postage was 4 1/2d and was the same as the cost of a Mars Bar. How much do Mars Bars cost now?
alan refail
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:55p is very reasonable to have something real delivered to any address in the U.K.
When I was little the cost of postage was 4 1/2d and was the same as the cost of a Mars Bar. How much do Mars Bars cost now?

Sixty pence!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Whilst I agree that the cost of postage appears high, especially when buying the large number of stamps that are necessary to send to lifelong friends and acquaintances, I still like to send cards. Much as I would like to donate all the expense of the cards and postage to worthwhile causes, I like to let these people know that I have not yet shuffled off this mortal coil.

At my age, I am concerned when a card is no longer received from someone from whom we have received a card for the past 50 years. Have they decided upon the noble route of donations, or are they no longer of this earth? Not having email addresses for most of these people, the annual card is the only way, as it seems counterproductive to send them a letter by post to say we shall not be sending cards by post. :?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:
PLUMPUDDING wrote:55p is very reasonable to have something real delivered to any address in the U.K.

Sixty pence!

And they're smaller whereas stamps are still same size.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Good old Royal Mail.
Monika
KG Regular

I too think that postage is good value. And I am always amazed how quickly the mail to places abroad reaches the destination. Because of many family connections , we send a lot of mail to France and Germany and it almost always seems to get there within two or three days, even to quite remote places! Unfortunately, at the opposite end, holiday postcards posted in Italy or Spain often doesn't get here at all. That's sad.

About the annual Christmas and New Years cards: I keep all the lists in a little book and when this year I looked back at 2008, I realised that almost half the friends to whom we had then written are no longer with us. That's sad as well but I suppose inevitable at our age.
robo
KG Regular

Funny I have never sent cards of any description it's not that I'm mean , today my grandson and youngest daughter have been on a trip to London all paid for by 2 brothers who own a designer company called gandys they also gave him a lot of designer clothes from the shop they have as well as treating them both to rides at winter wonderland as well as sight seeing tour this was the result of my son in law putting my grandsons name forward as they where looking for a young person who has had more than their share of life's dark side and with the recent death of his mother as well as his father dying when he was eight years old they choose him, if you read the story of the gandy family they are a credit to their parents who where both killed in the tsunami, so next week I will change a habit of a life time and send them a very large Christmas card
If anyone is buying Christmas presents please have a look at gandys website
Primrose
KG Regular

We have moved to email messages for overseas but still have a number of elderly friends (ie. Older than us!) who don't use computers or who are now bereaved and live alone so we always send them a card and a letter. It must be the one time of year when those living alone have a few minutes of pleasure when the postman comes and they know they are not forgotten. But I hate the habit of just signing your name if you've not been in touch for a year. OK, it means "I'm still alive" but is otherwise pretty pointless unless you actually provide some news about yourself. We have a pretty large Christmas card list so buy stamps in batches throughout the year to ease the pain and if I learn of a proposed postage stamp increase I try to stock up for the Christmas card mailing in advance.

We have one correspondent who for two years running has put a brief message in the card but no name and we have absolutely no idea who the sender is, and these days postmarks are either invisible or don't print a local posting venue like they used to so we haven't a clue who it is!
Yes, Monika, sadly there are always some new gaps in the list every year, especially as you get older.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Robo, that is a very touching story, there are some very kind people out there.....It must be especially hard for your family at the moment, coming up to Christmas but, with a strong Grandad like you, i'm sure your young Grandson will grow into a wonderful young man.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Thank you for those kind words O.H
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes Robo, the first Christmas after the loss of a close loved one is always especially poignant and difficult. How is your grandson coping? Its often the things that people can'5 say because they are too painful which can mask outer appearances. However, as OH says, I,m sure you are all supporting each other and do hope you get through the festive period recalling your happy memories. Hopefully the next Christmas will be a little easier as time passes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic