My First Xmas Present

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I've received a subscription to that 'Plan your garden' or even 'Garden Planner' thing from one of our main seed companies! I know, too exciting, but only did the 7 day free trial previously & hated seeing just one wee bit of the plot so gave up! My horticulturally trained Sister-in-law thought I needed help so thought it might help me plan - no surprise there!

Anyone played with this? Hints & Tips? See a bit more of the lottie now, but missing quite a few veg varieties in the veg section & loads in the flowers. Nice list of objects you might have in the garden though. And hate the number of plants that you could put in being hidden under the picture - anyway - over to you for the said Hints & Tips?

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I used one of those a few years ago and it was nice to play with but not easy to apply to my garden and I wasted hours on it. I've reverted to pencil and paper -instant results and exactly how you want it.
KG Tony
KG Regular

Ha! This reminds me of a chap I ended up doing some gardening for. He was a whizz with computers and bought himself a gardening app for planning his garden and spent a lot of time with it. Needless to say, he never got round to mowing the lawn.

Horses for courses, however, whatever floats your boat etc etc.

Just wondering if anyone has in mind their ideal gardening Xmas present? Looking at the state of my garden at times I would like Santa to send me a gardener :)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

KG Tony wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has in mind their ideal gardening Xmas present? Looking at the state of my garden at times I would like Santa to send me a gardener :)

gold and frank sense of irony

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That's exactly what I asked my partner for yesterday Tony, I didn't add "young and muscly"
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Last year my mum in law bought me the 'biodynamic sowing and planting calendar' . She obviously doesn't realise how dis organised I am. Whilst interesting, not for me I'm afraid.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for A new fork and seeds this year!

Pawty

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

I think I'm with PP so far! But will obviously feed back that it is the best thing ever to the giver! ;)

My ideal Xmas present - I want one of those clever shovels that don't hurt your back & turn the clods easily. Only trouble is they are cost prohibitive so couldn't be kept on the allotment - I expect the bus driver would want me to buy an extra ticket if I had to take it home every time!

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Westi , I've just bought one of them kicka attachments they are the same idea as the spring loaded one but less than half the price, I've not had chance to use it yet as the ground is sodden
KG Tony
KG Regular

We've tried that one out recently...I'm afraid I couldn't get the hang of it that well but Emma was a whizz with it! :)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

KG Tony wrote:We've tried that one out recently...I'm afraid I couldn't get the hang of it! :)

Snap

Found it harder to work with than a normal spade.
Just got in the habit of digging smaller sods with a decent spade.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Off the list then - or maybe it suits the female brain better? Any of our girlies tried them?

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I would dearly love a motor mower which starts first time, EVERY TIME. Our elderly Mountfield has a dual key and pull chord start and I've lost count of the number ber of times this year I've got it out of the garage when my husband has been out somewhere, only to find that I,ve had to abandon all attempts to cut the grass. After it was serviced last year it started for me once on the key second time and thereafter nothing.

Are more modern mowers more reliable now with a key start?
robo
KG Regular

Primrose I have a strimmer that is less than two years old, no matter what I do it will not start with out a squirt of carb cleaner I've put a new plug in it twice I've stripped the carb and cleaned it there are no airleaks every think is spot on you can pull the starter cord till your arm drops off all to no avail one quick squirt and it's away
Primrose
KG Regular

Robo. Glad I,m not alone. Actually with a previous mower I damaged my shoulder and needed surgery as a result of trying to use the pull chord. An electric mower with a long cable not really a practical answer for our garden unfortunately.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, i asked a friend of mine who is in his eighties and has a small hayter, with an electric start on it, and he said it never fails to start.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic