2016 - how was it for you?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Tony
KG Regular

So how's it gone for everyone this year? Which veg and fruit has gone well for you? What have you been impressed with?

I was impressed with the blight resistant tom, 'Mountain Magic' (T & M) (truly blight resistant and flavoursome) and the prolific 'Montello' tom (Marshalls).

Going to grow some 'Costoluto Fiorentino' next year. My office colleague grew these and they looked smashing. Did anyone try these (free with KG) this year?

Grew some 'Swift' sweetcorn which produced some lovely cobs - but must grow more next year so I have plenty in the freezer for over the winter.

Not sure if anyone's grown any scorzonera - a subtle but pleasant root veg if you haven't tried it.

Radicchio? Any fans?

I could go on an on but really interested in any recommendations for next year :)
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

This year was a year of discovery for me - first year growing things...

Tomatoes: I will grow again F1 Crimson Crush (also blight resistant and very tasteful) as well as San Marzano (great for sauce). I'll investigate those you list as I am in preparatory mode for next year

Beetroot: they all did super well, and I love them, so will grow again Burpee Golden, Golden Detriot, Chioggia, Pablo and Boltardy

Cucumber: I had 2 plants of Prima Top (of the climbing family), which gave masses, so will do that again

Carrots: Resistafly, Yellowstone and Purple Sun were successes. I have a last batch of resistafly in the ground that I will eat at Christmas

Salad: Mottistone, Batavia, Amaze, Little Gem. Will do them all again and also try Pissenlit next year. I am also going to build two large raised bed (table height) to grow them and insulate the legs with copper hoping that slugs will not go to them (unless they develop wings by then) and put a net over so the birds don't think it is a new buffet...

Radishes: so satisfactory as they are the first thing that will be ready! French Brekafast is the one I had. Will do again.

Ongoing experiment: garlic growing nicely as I type. Now 10cm high.

Things that did not work:

Courgettes - started very well, gave me 10 or so and then got completely mouldy and tipped over. Not sure I will try again as they take a lot of space and I am not that fond of them to start with...

Radicchio - it did not work for me at all. It just bolted and gave unedible leaves. I tried Castel Franco. I love it so will continue to buy it (for special occasions) at Borough market... I will try again in a few years' time once I have a better understanding of how things work...

Lambs Lettuce - but I think it is because the slugs were quicker than me.

Next year I will also get a couple of grow bags and grow potatoes (Yukon Gold) and will try the leeks and Parsnip we got from KG Mag over the last two months.
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
peter
KG Regular

Grew scorzonera once, never again, there is usually a reason "older vegetables" go out of use. Ditto salsify.

Recommendations, Crown Prince Swuash, Charlotte potatoes, Early Nantes carrots, Cosse Violette french beans.

Didnt do as well as expected or hoped for, King Edward potatoes, garlic and cuccumbers.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Not my best year as you all know from my posts on here!

Lost most of my toms & some potatoes to blight, the rest to slugs, awful start to my courgettes & pumpkins, runners went to seed early, salads mediocre, plum tree got die back, pear tree scab, winter brassicas didn't mature until end of Summer, woodlice got my strawberries & I didn't get one spring onion from multiple sowings with different varieties.

On a positive my winter brassicas did mature and my summer ones were good also, earning me a silver & gold and my onions (gold) & shallots were good too. Down at lottie now I have some brilliant kale, chard, caulies and cabbages looking pretty happy, leeks OK but still some growing to do, and my cut & come winter salad bed is better than my summer one & I've taken 2 big Pak Choy with one more to take. Celeraic is at a bit of a slow down as expected but it's the biggest I've ever grown.

Bring on 2017, I've got some learning & research to put into practice!

Westi
Westi
KG Steve
KG Editor

I'll be growing 'Mountain Magic' tomatoes again this year and 'Montello' which did well in my garden and at Easton Walled Gardens where KG ran a blight resistance trial ('Montello not blight resistant though). Also 'Costoluto Fiorentino' beefsteaks which were great from KG seeds this year.

For potatoes it's 'Jazzy', 'Charlotte' and blight resistant 'Sarpo Mira' for me.

More carrots in pots as they were superb this year and no slugs or carrot fly - good old 'Early Nantes' was pretty good, but the best was 'Sugarsnax'.

Determined to do better with my squashes next year, but that might depend on the weather - even my courgettes were a wash out this year! Kings have a really ugly - but tasty squash coming out called 'Goosebumps' that I can't resist trying! Look out for that in their new young plant and seed catalogue out in January I think.

Lots more leeks and kale next year - some nice new coloured kales coming through from some of the seed companies such as T&M and Kings so I'll give some of those a try.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic