Weekend Plans?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

What has everyone got in mind doing on the veg patch or home garden this weekend?

Down here in tropical England we finally have had enough frost at home to kill off the lilies and dahlias so my plans for Saturday is to cut the garden back, prune & move the roses, clear the greenhouse, hopefully mow & treat the lawn for the horrible moss stuff that gets slippery out the back garden & put compost on the beds. Only have to peg down the garden edging out front. Then have to plant the bulbs & stuff if time allows & measure the Red Love Apple tree & get the wires up. Hmm - think a bit over optimistic for Saturday but have a couple of says off next week so may finish!

Sunday is Lottie day & I'm planning a burn! Haven't done the trees yet, but have so much piled up from the roses & soft fruit if I wait much longer Tim Peak would have been able to see it from space! Still got the Jeruselum Artichokes to cut back so may do them first & add them to the pile. Then thinking sausages & jacket spuds in the embers & maybe some toasted marshmallows for afters!

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I wish I could have a fire at the allotment, but I'm too close to a main road.

After (dare I say, some Christmas shopping today) I really hope the weather will remain on my side so I can give the lawn a final mow. Although it does seem quite late but is very messy - never very sure on the rules for cutting grass?

I'm afraid that at this time the lotty does get a bit neglected due to lack of daylight hours, but there is some clearing I want to do.

I'm also going to start off some parsley, chives and basil for the kitchen.

Pawty
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Same here in Kent the frost was good enough to blacken the dahlia leaves, so the tubers are now coming out and we can make some sense of the front lawn and cut flower patch which looks so untidy!
All the leaves have now fallen down from the trees, so I will be vacuuming a bit to tidy the garden up...
The sun is shining so I am sure i will find something else to do too.
Oh the Christmas Tree is just being delivered this minute, so I will now have to do some archeological digging in the shed to find the stand!
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
John
KG Regular

I will mainly be logging with my trusty Stihl this weekend after taking DW to the local Produce Market this morning.
I'm trying to wean her off all this homemade cake and pie stuff - without much success though.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Diane
KG Regular

Just returned home from a lovely wander around the local Etsy Christmas sale....lots of very clever craftspeople. Wish I had half their skills. The hens have decided it's warm enough to venture out from their cosy coop and are doing their best to redistribute the pile of leaves that my husband kindly swept up for me. I think I'll just leave them to it and blame it on the wind. :lol:
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
JohnN
KG Regular

On the phone this morning to our granddaughter, Kiera, who has a lovely little cottage near the Brecon Beacons. A few weeks ago she found a duck had arrived in the garden (though she hasn't got a pond) so she built it a little hut and it seemed very happy. Then this week came a gale and the hut got turned over and the duck fled. "But" she told us, it left me a farewell present - a large egg!"
Westi
KG Regular

Was definitely over optimistic. Got one side of the garden beds done & about 1/2 the pots, roses pruned & moved so all in all considering I had help from the kitten did pretty well. Trouble is it is now showing off how bad the rest of it looks, so I'm not going to lottie tomorrow after all but will finish the back garden & greenhouse & will tackle the lawn like Pawty.

I've got Thursday & Friday off this week & Thursday looks pretty good so will get to sort my pyromaniac tendencies!

Westi
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Will go to the Rugby Club and over some cider will review England's win against Australia yesterday.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Prompted by Shallot man, I might make some cider and apple juice after I've been for a walk.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Amazing sunshine this morning, so off for a walk.
- I wish there was some weeding I could do in the garden (never thought I would write that) to enjoy the sun but seeing as EVERYTHING is covered in a lovely white frost, I suspect it is just wishful thinking and it will be quite nippy outside... So a brisk walk, cheese on toast for lunch and reading in front of the first thereafter...
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Shallot Man
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING. Do you deliver !
robo
KG Regular

I drink cider as part of my five a day ,hope it counts,Apple juice douse cider is just the same with a bit of alcohol added
robo
KG Regular

Today I've pulled some leeks then got talking which stopped the work, I've just knocked a boot cleaner up three scrubbing brushes fixed to 2 ,5 x1 inch timber batters I screwed 2 with the bristles pointing up the third I screwed sideways on with a 2 x 1inch batten below it the idea is to place it on the floor and wipe my boots over it a few times to get the mud off
Westi
KG Regular

All finished at home except mowing the lawn but Mr Westi can do that, as stuffed my back a bit! That was probably deciding to empty the compost bin & top up the beds, maybe my fight with the ivy or getting the last 50 tulips in. Either way will find myself reaching for the Brufen & paracetamol for a couple of days!

Westi
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Spent Saturday in the sum cleaning a cold frame I was given.

Found out today the white stuff on the top glass should really be there as it stops the plants getting burnt…Ooops!

Spent yesterday going through seeds list & other stuff on the DT Browns website. Easy to get carried away as my space is limited & I already have 30 packets of seeds.

Thought it was good that they were open on a Sunday to accept phone call.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic