Favourite Chillies?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Tony
KG Regular

I know it's only the end of November but already thinking of what chillies to grow next year. My favourites last year were Loco, Numex Twilight, Prairie Fire and Pot Black. Definitely want to give Bishop's Crown a go next year. Just wondered what others have been growing and what they have liked best.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I'm looking forward to this thread. I was just posting on the other chilli topic.

Never too early to start thinking about chillies. It's only 2-3 months to sowing time ! I choose varieties according to use. I want big mild fleshy types for Mexican, so always Ancho and Mulato, the latter for the rich brown colour it gives a sauce. Some for smoking, usually Jalapeno for making Chipotle, but last year I used Pasilla (kindly given to be by forum member Stonecoloured) to make a version of Pasilla de Oaxaca. They were excellent. Really good.

For drying it's a much wider choice. I agree on Prairie Fire, it is a great producer of bird's eye type chillies, and pretty enough to keep a pot plant close to hand on the dining table.

For many years I grew Hungarian wax, to barbecue stuffed with halloumi cheese; but I've now discovered Ohnivec, which is a similar shape and size but reliably hotter.

I quite like Rocoto for a change; very handsom plants with purple flowers, hairly leaves and black seeds. Pretty hot but quite fleshy, though I've struggled to get it to yield well.

As I said on the other thread, I'm still seeking the fruitiest tasting Chinense type.
Geoff
KG Regular

My wife says the best one this year was Serrano Tampiqueno but we have had plenty Jalapeno, Cheyenne, Hungarian Hot Wax and some of the freebies just labelled Cayenne. Big Jim are good for stuffing but they didn't do well this year, we have ordered fresh seed to try again. I sow week 10 in propagator with lights and leave them in there for quite a while, I have thought of trying a week or two earlier I'll have to see if I can fit them in.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
I will be back later (1-2 weeks) with my report on the varieties I have grown this year but all the paperwork is at the glasshouse.

Watch this space!
Regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

Good old faithful ahingarian wax for me. Occasionally get a rogue really hot one but we don,t like our chilliest too fiery so it suits us. The Lemon Drop one nice for an occasional change.
mr-cecil
KG Regular

I can't remember if I've asked this before, but has anyone tried overwintering their chilli's? Do you gain anything by doing this?
Primrose
KG Regular

I have over wintered chilliest by pruning them fairly hard back, prising off some of the compost around the roots and adding a little fresh. They will come into leaf slowly again over winter if kept in a warm room, flower and fruit earlier than spring sown seeds. Don't overwater them. The only problem I find is that they can succumb to whitefly. You can try gently spraying them off but if they become too overpowering they will eventually take all the strength from your plants and kill them.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My favourite is Alberto's Locoto a Rotoco chillie from Real Seeds. It has pretty purple flowers, nice fleshy fruits with plenty of heat but not overpowering and black seeds. It over winters easily with a good pruning too.

One word of caution, they look similar to plum tomatoes if you put them in a dish whole, as my son found out the hard way!

I also use the Aji variety Lemon Drop occasionally too
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Mr Cecil - I've over wintered with mixed results. Same as primrose - I've had an issue with white fly.

This year I'm not over wintering as I had great success from started again with new seed in February.

Pawty
KG Steve
KG Editor

I don't usually bother to overwinter chillies as I am too mean to spend the money on heating and find that even in a mild winter without it they will rot. However all but the annual varieties will generally overwinter successfully to give you earlier fruit. Check out Rob Smith's feature on heritage chillies in the February issue out at the end of the month - some nice varieties you might like to try (and you'll get a free packet of 'De Cayenne' into the bargain).
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Westi
KG Regular

Captain Carrot (aka Steve)!

Problem with your avatar? ;) ;) :) :) Sorry that was just being cheeky!

As you're on here now can you tell us about your day on the mag? Some think you should just be available constantly but I'm sure your job is very different to what we imagine. How many meetings? How much travel? Hours needed? Impact on your own growing? Would be interesting I think - then you could share with the readers by posting your post!

Westi
Westi
KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi Westi. Crikey, I'm afraid that would be the most boring post in the history of posts! Suffice it to say that whan not making sure that Emma and Tony are working hard (I'm being facitious of course) - I do lots of things, but most pretty far removed from actual gardening, which is mostly confined to weekends only at this time of year. But then I guess that's the same for many forum folk, so not looking for any sympathy there. We'd all sooner be out on our plots!

It's true I can't be available 24/7, but rest assurrred I do have one beady eye on you all and can always be reached by PM if I do miss a post that is directed at me. Tony (AKA Peter Radish) is also looking in regularly, so between us and Lady Lettuce (Emma) I hope we can ensure we are about to chip in regularly to the conversation!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Steve!
Thank you! You are now real! Not Captain Carrot! Who'd have known?

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

When you've chosen them you could have a look at Simply Seeds

ChilliOffer.JPG
ChilliOffer.JPG (32.57 KiB) Viewed 4564 times
KG Steve
KG Editor

Wow that is a good deal Geoff! I met Matt Simpson some years ago at West Dean Chilli Festival. Lovely guy and very knowledgeable, especially on chillies and heritage tomatoes. Very nice line in chilli-themed waistcoats! :D
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic