SMART METER

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

The only tariffs I have found are way above GB, I'm worried there will be nothing sensible available by the time Ofgem come up with a solution. Please post if you find anything.
Geoff
KG Regular

OscarSidcup : Don't know if you subscribe to Money Saving Expert but I have just had an email that contains this :

"Energy regulator Ofgem has just announced that it has appointed Co-op Energy as the supplier that will take over GB Energy's customers - and it'll be honouring your current prices."

"Co-op is honouring the rate you pay including those for all fixed and standard tariffs"

It seems unbelievable but it says it more than once in the email. We have a Co-op membership, I wonder if we get anything extra?

Thought you would like to know.

Regards

Geoff

PS : if you want the full email I can forward it if you pm your address. I tried to send this as a pm to you but it wouldn't let me.
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hi there, sorry for the delay. Yes indeed I got this email that now Co-op energy will take over the 160,000 GB supply clients AND, surprise (nice), honour the contracts until their end. Nice Christmas present and a few more months of a really good deal on energy. In the new year I will look again at the market as the prices will end up going up once my current contract expires...

On another note, I got a letter from Thames Water informing us that we are going to be the lucky recipients of a water meter, but that we will have a two year period to switch to the meter invoicing... Not amused by that one. I don't think there is anything we can do, is there? Can we refuse to get a water meter installed?
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Geoff
KG Regular

It was a nice surprise, 9.87p per unit until next October, sure it will be a shock after that. You could share my borehole but I think laying the pipe would be a bit expensive.
robo
KG Regular

I would think you could refuse them access onto your land
Colin2016
KG Regular

Hi OscarSidcup,

Check out this link https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/wp-content/upl ... meters.pdf page 19 "Do I have to have a meter?"
snooky
KG Regular

A water meter has just been "imposed"upon us by South-East Water as prt of Ofwat's water saving measures and we had no say in this;and it too is a smart meter sending readings to the company.Charges have gone down by about £20 per month and we do not seem to to using any less water.Just goes to show how we were being ripped off under the old system.Also, anticipating price rises next year over the odds to offset loss of water company's earnings.They have rolled this out all overtheir distribution area.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Thanks Colin - not much choice then. Well, we'll see when we arrive there...

Re electricity providers, one of my colleagues recommended this website: flipper.community. They search for you and will switch you automatically when they find a saving of £50 (they will then charge £25, so no real loss in absolute terms). It takes the hassle off doing the comparison oneself. Interesting concept.
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've not seen a good reason to install something which uses electricity to help me save energy.

Also how much energy and materials are being used providing new equipment to millions of homes to replace things that are working perfectly well? We're having to pay for it on our bills whether we want it or not too.

It really isn't to save on energy or carbon emissions it's just to make running the energy companies more efficient, cut their staff costs and make more profit
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic