Very early Winter Bits and Bobs.2016

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Well it was a cracking morning, cant believe I was the only one on the allotments.
Bit of a joke really when all is considered, not that I got much done in 3 hours.
6 barrow loads of topsoil plus moved a few strawberry plants and that was me done for.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

All great plans to tackle the back garden today but nought touched. My distracted brain took over and instead of a quick vacuum & mop before going outside, I ended up doing the windows, washing the dogs toys & rugs, cleaned out the desk completely ready for the new minimalist me, sorted out the books, shifted around the furniture, tidied the pantry and date checked stuff & did a freezer list. Interrupted with playing with the kitten quite a bit as well.

Looked up and the sun was setting, even overlooked lunch was so engrossed. I really dislike these dark evenings, so get in your way as I would have continued out back had I been able to see enough. Looking a bit like a show house at mine currently if you can overlook the extra furniture still in residence. I thought people liked free things. Anyway will see how long it lasts before it gets 'Crittered'!

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

What brilliant weather today! We woke up to thick freezing fog which soon cleared to a clear blue sky, full sunshine and not a breath of wind. So we spent three hours on the allotment, digging up the last carrots and celeriac, cutting down sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes, tidying all brassicas, securing bean frames for next year and clearing the last flower remnants. Digging was out, I'am afraid, because we didn't want to dig the frost into the ground. It was good to see dozens of worms of work under the thick layer of manure on next year's brassica bed.

On the sunflower heart feeder: the first two bramblings! And a magnificent male pheasant clearing up any dropped food.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but around here, the Oak trees have held onto nearly all their leaves this Autumn and they are the most wonderful shades of copper..... quite magnificent.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I'd noticed that here too and the beech trees especially have been very late losing their leaves. They''be looked especially colourful in the sunshine. Hard to believe it's almost December and they're still clinging on but perhaps this will make winter feel a little shorter!
robo
KG Regular

Went out early this morning I had an appointment with some cod, driving down to Liverpool the sun was breaking and a clear blue sky to boot , the minute I got to the docks a thick mist had developed we decided it would probably burn up when the sun got a bit higher in the sky it didn't we sat all day on the Mersey in freezing fog it cleared around five this afternoon. We locked back in at around seven fifteen it was a lovely bright evening the river was engulfed in lights from the pier head and the Albert dock not a bad day
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Was there fish for supper, Robo???? :)

Popped over the allotment late this afternoon and very pleased to see the Autumn broad beans were popping their heads through....not so sure they will be as pleased as i was, as we are in for a couple of very sharp frosts. :)

robo
KG Regular

There was O H a decent coddling for a fish pie three others returned along with thirty whiting
Last edited by robo on Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Robo! Whiting is a favourite in Aussie & you threw them back?

OK don't get too big, probably bigger in the warmer water though, but taste so sweet! I'll share one of my whiting fishing trips when I caught a shark sometime, but still receiving therapy! I thought it was a snapper - easy mistake!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Not fishing weather here, everything is frozen solid. It's -4.4° at the moment.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I didn't get to pick the last of the cooking apples, with everything that has been going on, so i have just been over and picked up two large boxes of decent windfalls.... the fieldfares can have what's left...well, it's nice to share.... :)

peter
KG Regular

Been to local Christmas Fair in town, we walked down with the dog, who got very interested in some stalls, for example the hotdogs stall with the four foot diameter six handle frying / paella pan.

Now relaxing
wood fire.jpg
wood fire.jpg (124.63 KiB) Viewed 3243 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

I've managed to plant around seventy onions this afternoon it's been gloomy all week the plot is still full of water from the rain we had last week it's not a nice day to be plotting , one of the chickens has decided to mount it looks so funny running around with very little feathers looks ready for the oven ,out tonight for our granddaughters birthday she has chosen a local Indian for our meal I'd better put a toilet roll in the fridge for later
peter
KG Regular

Christmas Fair, a dogs view.
FB_IMG_1480785807250.jpg
FB_IMG_1480785807250.jpg (82.09 KiB) Viewed 3237 times

FB_IMG_1480785799369.jpg
FB_IMG_1480785799369.jpg (89.74 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Looks like a dogs heaven! Remember 2nd bone from the left to be bought, wrapped & under the tree! Very clear decision being made there! :)

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic