Very early Winter Bits and Bobs.2016

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Although the temperature looks to be mild here compared to other parts of the country (8 degrees) the sky is dark grey overcast with wind gusting at times.
Tomorrow looks as if it is going to be no better.

I need to crack on with getting strawberries moved and the remaining 6 cu mt of topsoil / compost mix needs moving so it is all on the plot in its proper place.

The weather combined with this weeks news that apart from "The Alien Within" I now also have a leaky heart valve, which is classified as moderate and not worth the risk (or cost) of trying to fix given the Alien will get me anyway, means that I'm not sure moving things is going to happen today.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Parsnip, that was awful, but it did make me smile, so thank you... :)
A wet old morning here, so a bit more bulb potting up in the greenhouse for me.

OH< I really don't care what others think, as long as at least one person groans, smiles, or laughs then my job is done. *** ( see edit)

So glad it made you smile
Cheers

*** edit:- now adopted as my signature)
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

:roll: :lol: :( :x :wink: :evil: :? :| :?: :?: seems like these describe what is going on in a lot of peoples thoughts at the moment, so i'm going to pick this one out for now. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You always make me smile with your comments Pa. It's not fit to do any gardening here today, cold wet and windy so I'm glad I had a good session yesterday, even if I over did it. The weather probably gives us a chance to recover a bit. I think you're doing brilliantly.

It's 2 degrees at the moment and the wind is gusting at 22 mph, and still raining.

I'm having my breakfast in bed and bird watching. I was just counting a large flock of Goldfinches, 23, when a Sparrow hawk swooped through them so everything is probably going to hide for 10 minutes.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

We love watching the Goldies, especially when that sort of amount are on the feeders.

I still cant get over the Heron, it continues to visit the pond, even though I have now netted it again, and stands there defying the dogs barking at it but not approaching it. Probably because of the size of its beak. Being working retrievers they are probably thinking "if they think we are going to try picking that up they've got another think coming"

Glad I make you smile Plum, I'm fully aware I'm not the only person on this board who has these troubles and some cant handle my irreverence. But I feel that being open and talking, even jokingly or in a light-hearted fashion (ooh light-hearted is there a pun there ) about my own issues may, in a very small way, help my fellow veg growers handle their own issues.

I'm very very lucky, I'm still here enjoying your company

BREAKFAST IN BED !!!!!!!!!!!!
>
How terribly posh lol .......................................not mushroom in our bed for that

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Not very posh Pa, I feed the cat, let the hens out and fill the bird feeders when it comes daylight then take my breakfast back to bed to keep out of the way while my partner is in rushing about mode if he's going to work or out for the day.

Anyway, it's stopped raining so I'm going to sort the compost heap out and plant some lettuces in the greenhouse border, I might even get the tulips planted!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I did manage to get up the plot for about 3/4 of an hour today. Moved roughly 1/2 cu mt of the topsoil from front to back of plot.
Energy level poor, legs like lead.
Far too chilly to stay there any longer so decided to dig a parsnip to have with lamb tonight.

Raised bed so wet it came out with just the slightest of digging and pulling.

Was well pleased with shape and size. 1.25lb Lets hope it tastes as good

For the more technical amongst us, the variety is Pinnacle
They were sown direct into a 6ft x 3ft x 9 inch high raised bed on 14th April 2016 which was a virgin bed and had received NO manure.
It had been covered for 3 weeks previous to sowing by standard weight fleece, the fleece was replaced for 3 weeks after sowing

DSC_924201.jpg
DSC_924201.jpg (48.56 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Cannibalism springs to mind Pa Snip... :)

What a beauty, though....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks OH, I'm often complimented on my good looks, aahhhhh silly fool me, I thought you meant Pa Snip not parsnip

Westi
KG Regular

Looks like Lottie got a bigger blow than we did at home.

Loads of stakes on a definite slant, lost 2 frilly sprouts completely uprooted and the black membrane pathway had blown off with the pegs pulled out of the ground, environmesh & netting blown off most beds & my DIY shelter for the toms etc was disintegrated. Managed to salvage bits but not enough to re-build so have another project.

I have Lottie 2 until 31st Dec next year so opportunistic to have a good sort out of Lottie 1 which is the one I shall keep. Learned loads since I had it so should do a better job this time around. Be warned in advance I have learnt loads but at times I have the memory of a goldfish, so expect some daft & obvious questions! :wink:

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Have faith westie, there's hope for you yet, some interesting answers by doing a search

how to measure the memory of a goldfish

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Wish I had faith in where this forum is heading.

We had some good encouraging posts about 'Team' input and what other inclusions might be made in both the hard copy and online subs club etc. about how readers may be encouraged to join in and use the forum for their benefit.

Sorry to say that the rhetoric between members and admin does not seem to have begun to have any effect, or an inkling of doing so as yet.
Getting mentions of the forum included in the hard copy version cant happen overnight.

But, and it's a BIG but, nothing will happen if even existing members fail to join in and make use.

There is a small nucleus of people whose names appear time and time again, they are the ones currently keeping this forum going. If they didn't bother the place would be dead !!!

Yesterday, Sunday 20/11/16. in FOUR thread subjects, of which only ONE was new that day, there were TWENTY TWO reply posts on those four threads by EIGHT members.

The snag is that even I can see that making posts like this is a double edge sword, Just as likely to put people off as to encourage.
But the message really is simple, as in so many cases. Use it or lose it. That current nucleus of posters might get fed up themselves soon.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

the other snag is what I have written above mainly gets read by the converted

Pawty
KG Regular

We cooked the first parsnip of the year last night. Ok, it was a bit of an odd shape and on the small size (husband cooked it before I could get a photo) but it was delicious!

Roasted it with some home grown carrots with a bit of honey drizzled across the top. Yum!

The honey came from my trip to Bulgaria where they produce so much, and so many flavours. There are stalls on the sides of the road everywhere in land. The one I got was alpine wild flowers. Nothing like you get in the shops. One day I plan to get my own hive! A long time off yet, but can't wait!

Pawty
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (477.5 KiB) Viewed 3663 times
Westi
KG Regular

Pa - i do love a search, but I have an erratic brain & never find the answer I wanted as I get distracted all the time & go off in a tangent and waste quite a bit of time. Example, if I wanted to search Pawty's wonderful honey I'd be on DIY bee hive weaving course in no time at all!

Also agree with what you posted, it must seem exclusive to new posters to see the same names over & over again, but they are looking and that is important too! Still think the headings are confusing personally & too many. No chicken or bee headings for example.

Anyway here we are, let's keep the faith & see what happens! New posters - we don't bite, there are loads of experienced people on here that certainly helped me when I started out - be brave - take the leap of faith - ask that question!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic