Malvern "Flower Show" reprise

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Are you satisfied with the coverage of vegetables at RHS events

Poll ended at Mon May 22, 2006 8:01 am

Yes, No, no opinion
50%
Action required
50%

Total votes: 2
Allan
KG Regular

To Arthur re, where are vegetable shows
Sadly it has to be a Flower Show as you put it, I agree that vegetables were distinctly lacking but it seems that it's the same all over, vegetables get a back seat if lucky. However I make the best of a bad setup, I wouldn't grow vegetables for show anyway. I did get quite a lot of shopping in as aids to gardening, weed problems and a lot more apply to any gardens.
You would think the RHS could pay more than just lip service to fruit and vegetables, even the plants are becoming excluded from the "gardens" as witness the Gold Award, "Best in the show". I hope to give more details on that gaffe without treading on too many corns. A Garden isn't a garden once the plants are gone.
Jennifer
KG Regular

Hi Allan,
I agree that it would be nice to see more vegetables in more of the gardens at all of the shows but there were a few around at Malvern. Also a couple of nurseries with excellent herb selections. For the first time at a garden show I noticed that some of the nurseries were stocking vegetables and/or salad plants for sale in mixed packs for planting out. That has to be an improvement. But I suspect most vegetable gardeners would already have them in the garden so I hope that previous non-veg gardeners have started to get the habit!

The most disappointing garden for me was the one that won 'Best in Show'(and it seems for you too). It was depressing. How do the judges choose them?

For me it was a garden for people who hate gardening. And I really can't believe that very many people who hate gardening would want to live with that particular garden. I hope it comes with a good net to keep the water clear! I particularly disliked the tide mark around the rocks.

Sorry couldn't quite work out why Yes and No are on the same button so haven't voted but will check it again tomorrow.

Jennifer
Allan
KG Regular

I'm sorry if I didn't get the question part sorted out, your written opinions are just as good.There is more to that Best-of show situation than I want to say just at the moment, my spy went into it and I hope to say the result later.
It occurred to me that there is a valid excuse in part for the lack of vegetable exhibits, the majority of us would still be starting our crops off and I don't think the GBP would understand a garden in its true seasonal state. They would take as their norm the season-proofed produce as per the local supermarket which is at this time gobbling up air-miles to feed them.
IMHO only people that don't understand gardening would be buying, for instance, lettuce plants as the risk from now on of bought-in plants going to seed is extremely high.
Allan
Tigger
KG Regular

I don't go to the RHS Shows, or any of the others for that matter, to see veg. I already have a good idea about what I want to grow to eat and I can read about new varieties. Putting them into a gardening show will only attract a few new recruits as the audience in attendance are already gardening fans - why else would they be there?

I love the flower and plant displays, and the designs and ideas, especially in the floral marquees.

I want to be able to buy new varieties of veg seeds, new breeds of flowers, shrubs, etc. Stock up on gadgets and add a few treats.

There are lots of other ways to lure folk into growing vegetables and one of the best is by good cooking.
Allan
KG Regular

You may have heard about the "garden" that got the top award at Malvern "The Emperors Garden" It was won by Paul Dyer who runs a business creating such works. If you took a fancy to it after the show you can have that or similar for only £40,000. We have a leaflet explaining his business and admitting thsat one was deliberately "over The Top" but goes on to say it is to show that "CONTEMPORARY MODERN" needn't be basic and boring (his words) it does raise the question as to whether the RHS were right to give it such an accolade as in the opinion of many people it is not really about growing plants at all. I personally feel that it does a disservice to gardening, a garden is created for the purpose of growing plants for enjoyment or use, without them (it featured one species in a formal manner) it loses its purpose.
Paul's business is on
www.waterfeatures.co.uk
There is a section to help the D-I-Y-er.
Paul also had a display of a garden more typical of what his work usuially is, adjacent to the "best-in-show"
I can e-mail a copy of his leaflet to anybody who would like to see it.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic