Nettle cultivating alotment holder evicted

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I see a an allotment holder is being evicted from his plot for growing nettles which he claims he harvests for soup making.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ables.html

Where do you draw the line on "scruffy" plots which can be a nuisance to others? Debate !
Pa Snip
KG Regular

, but argues that he uses it as a “rural retreat” where he can relax and enjoy the outdoors.

Not a very substantial argument to hang his case on. Plenty of places to do that.

I have written in the past of a plot holder on our site who tends 1.5 plots, "tends" being after a fashion. Nettles grown in abundance "because the butterflies like them">
The argument that attracting cabbage whites and other egg layers in proliferation does no favours to other plot holders cuts no ice.

The rules for this gentlemen's site seem clear enough, he has just been lucky to get away with not working at least 75% in the past.
By his own admission he works about 50% of each plot, derrrrrrrrrr don't understand his grief.

Give up one plot, work the other plot properly, end of problem

If he is not sure what to grow on the remaining plot I understand FIFA are looking for a poppy supplier.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, I think he's been lucky to have got away with it for so long, especially when there has been such a long waiting list.

It does raise an interesting question though about the sort of plants which can be legitimately grown and claimed to be a crop.
What if you devoted half your plot, for example, to growing hay to feed for some of your animals. Would that be a legitimate purpose?
I suppose you could fill your plot with potatoes for example but that would first require it to be thoroughly dug over first.

Pa, your FIFA comment made me smile. I see the players have decided to raise two fingers to them and are wearing their poppies anyway. Good for them !
Last edited by Primrose on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
robo
KG Regular

He would not have lasted that long with our council,we have to cultivate 85% they are checked every three months if you are deemed not to have enough cultivated then you are issued with a none cultivation order and given three weeks to come up to scratch if not you are evicted
Westi
KG Regular

I'm not sure where our allotment stands on this as we have 2 plots that are just flowers, both professional show growers so I think they may have special terms arranged. I am dismayed by the new plot holders we have coming through. The majority (not all), barely make a season until it gets over run with weeds as they have disappeared. They leave behind all these kids toys and general junk for the committee to get rid off. These were once full plots divided so it seems like there are even more neglected.

That's another reason why I am fighting to keep my 2 plots, and thankfully have people on the committee who agree but it is in the hands of the council! I will give up one when I can't maintain it, but will not be forced when all we see is these plots left abandoned! I'm planning to go around and take photos of the number left unattended to help my case but have to be discreet. If the council didn't take so long to evict these people there would be plenty of plots - & our waiting list is only in the teens & only a few months wait. Was 100+ when they had this idea though!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Has anybody ACTUALLY COOKED AND EATEN NETTLES ? I imagine they're probably rather like spinach in that a whole pan full cooks down to about one tablespoonful?
alan refail
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Has anybody ACTUALLY COOKED AND EATEN NETTLES ? I imagine they're probably rather like spinach in that a whole pan full cooks down to about one tablespoonful?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6756
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Shallot Man
KG Regular

We had one who's excuse was , he was growing grass for his pet rabbits.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I doubt I need to illustrate how invasive nettles are, when I started my kitchen garden four years ago I started by deciding how I would improve my soil. Ok, I had a supply of cow muck though it was hard work. Comfrey farming was an idea yet to come to fruition though I already had nettles.

Nettles are a fabulous source of nutrient for both us and plants but it is very invasive along the lines of knotweed. One the root structures get established it's impossible to get rid of without using very nasty chemicals.

I even had a nettle root structure establish itself on, and alongside my fue-oil tank. The roots were ,feeding off the bird droppings and decaying bird food from the feeder station alongside. A nettle root system was right on top of the oil tank, roots just sitting in the slurry from years of bird droppings, mud and dead materials.

I have some nettle outcrops with a lot of glyphosate when the new growth is lively and green. The green dies but the roots don't.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

And I write this hoping not to upset anyone - I apologise if I do ...... So, if the 85% rule applied to me I'd be out! But my husband has had post viral fatigue for 6 months .... Pretty hard hitting for a marathon runner, and hard all round. But. As a result my plot isn't as it should be. I work full time but spend as much time as I can at the lotty - because I love it - I'd be gutted if someone took it away because I'm being a bit rubbish.... I know .... Different subject.....Yes there are weeds and nettles, but hey, .... Live and let live...

Pawty
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I have always the deepest respect for allotment holders, even more-so since I came to live on this lovely plot. I don't to travel to my plot, cope with thieves from the same allotment and those doing a bit a scrumping together with shed robbing.

Those who manage to manage thier plots are always likely to judge those that don't manage-well, even a retired holder may have good reason for neglect, for those who work full time and/or have children I really don't know how you fit it in.

A committee with flexible rules must be a boon to those not managing well though opportunity to those can't be bothered for a few seasons but let thier plot go to someone who is desperate to have a go.

Pawty ? Has your man suffered from over-training initially ? In the past I managed to re-train just three out of possibly 20 athletes I've been acquainted with. Once they get into a certain mind-set that amounts to self harm it's very difficult to help them out of it. ITS A DRUG PROBLEM. Endorphins to be precise.

The ones who listened, listened because they were 20 years younger but always behind me at the finish.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

There are always exceptions but I would think most councils or committees would be tolerant where health issues are concerned. At least for a time, they have to think of the site, and the neighbouring plot holders, as a whole.
In some instances I have even heard it said that fellow plot holders muck in to help, although that may be a rare occurrence.

I'm afraid I have a tolerance limit when it involves working my butt off to try and keep a relatively tidy plot if neighbouring plots are untended. Weed seeds are of no use to me.
:roll:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Although our council are strict they will make allowances for people who have genuine reasons why they have not attended to their plot, when I had my heart attack last year a couple of my fellow plotters stepped in and kept my chickens fed and generally kept my plot tidy even dropping eggs of for my wife, they new my wife could not manage on her own as she has no short term memory due to a stroke but they looked after her as well making sure she was eating and looking after herself but our daughters where doing the same for her,
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

That's a lovely story Robo, makes me feel guilty being such a cynic about people. Gave me a warm cuddly feeling.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic