KG forum seeds trial 2017?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

So, I was playing catch up with Gardeners World at the weekend. I was really interested in the results of the seed trial, growing the same seed varieties in different parts of the U.K.

As we have lots of forum members up and down the uk (and some much further afield) I was wondering if we could do a bit of an experiment with some of the free KG mag seeds?

The idea is that we pick maybe three free packs (can agree later - veg and flowers) then we all agree to sow the whole pack within a week. Conditions don't matter - I.e location, soil type, raised beds, pots, greenhouses, started in a windowsill, or straight in the soil - as many different conditions the better!

We just have to record what we do when, the conditions, thing added to encourage growth and then report back and maybe take some progress (or not) photos.

Maybe KG could keep an eye on how it goes (and join in!) and feature the progress? I would find the results really interesting I reckon I could learn a lot!

Appreciate that not everyone gets the magazine all of the time - so maybe people who don't have the free seeds could get hold of some of the same variety and also report back?

Anyway just an idea, so would love to know if everyone would like to join in!

Pawty
mr-cecil
KG Regular

Not a bad idea. However, if you wanted to be more scientific, you'd probably do it the other way around....everyone follows the same method / sows at the same time etc, and the only thing that is different is the location / soil.

Another approach might be for people to suggest things that they have always wanted to grow but never had any luck.
Geoff
KG Regular

Great idea - happy to be included - except for whole pack unless they are special small packets.
Diane
KG Regular

I'll join in too.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

I like it, I like it .... so I will keep my free seeds from now on, until it has been decided which varieties to use.
Westi
KG Regular

Like the idea Pawty!

I'm in for that even in not the whole pack. Might make the seed suppliers give better information for different parts of the country as well. Also would be interested in what treatments members use for different things, both soil prep and bug control!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Good idea. There'll be quite a lot of variables though including later sowing and planting out dates further north.
KG Emma
KG Regular

Great idea. The editorial team do not know what seeds are being given away yet but as soon as we get any information we will try and give you the heads up.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Thanks, that would be great!

The more people the better! And if there's any variable anyone wants to test particularly we can try and make sure that's included.

I've probably got KG seeds from the last few issues, so can always check what these were as well.

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

KILLJOY WARNING :D

oh boy, Potential nightmare ahead.

Can you imagine the discussion about what the trial should try to establish and content, method and rules.
"Lets not grow radishes, too easy and I don't like them".
"Oh lettuce, boring"
"I haven't got, and cant afford to buy, any John Innes No1 so can I use my home made compost"

I hope to goodness KG decide the seed type and the methodology (if any needed) that should be used.
If down to us it would be past sowing time before we agree

My mind goes back to all the variables that were put forward when we were asked our opinion about the forum colour. Who would have thought there could be so much discussion about the colour green and a white or grey background :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

I think we could vote by poll. Just an easy one. 6 varieties to choose from. Whichever gets the most votes - then that's it..no squabbling. Choice of either multipurpose or seed compost. Sowing dates to be decided by KG.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
KG Steve
KG Editor

No worries everyone - we will lay down some easy to follow ground rules, so there should be no arguments :P
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Captain Carrot wrote:No worries everyone - we will lay down some easy to follow ground rules, so there should be no arguments :P

The world loves an optimist :lol: ................................................ (only jesting)

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

I'm a thinking I missed the point here. I thought the seeds were chosen & then we plant in a specific time frame of a week. (Although I think 2 separate weeks a bit apart would be better, but have to sow in both weeks - with photo evidence). When the results are in then we share what we grew them in, how we watered, fed them, companion planting, treated the nasties etc?

I'm interested in the techniques & stuff - anyone can sow seeds & get lucky but then a few will excel & they're the ones I want to know the how off.

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons a little, i thought the real test of a good gardener was, to sow when the conditions were at there best!!!
So, surely if it is really nice in one part of the country and awful in another part, a wise gardener wouldn't sow until things improved, or it could be a waste of seed.
All the other bits about keeping records on feeding, transplanting and so on are excellent......it should be fun and interesting.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic