A Poll Re the (in)activity thread

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Do you or Don't you Subscribe

I subscribe to Kitchen Garden Magazine
37%
I buy the magazine on a 'ad hoc' basis from retail outlet
17%
I share a copy of the magazine with others
10%
I would not take out a subscription in order to use the forums
30%
I would take out a subscription to Kitchen Garden Magazine to use the forums
7%

Total votes: 30
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Whats your stance.

Just a poll, not a proposition

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Tony Hague
KG Regular

My option is missing - I used to subscribe when I first found the forum (the first internet forum I joined !). I have siince lapsed because I didn't feel I was gaining much from the mag. Not surprising really, all the magazines start to feel like you've come full circle after a few years; there are only so many vegetables !
Diane
KG Regular

I'm with Tony on this one. I've been reading gardening magazines for so many decades and sometimes it gets repetitive - but that's inevitable I suppose. I enjoy reading about new varieties of tomatoes etc but - in the end - they're still just tomatoes and there's only so many ways of growing them.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Forgot the: I buy the magazine every month from the newsagent without fail! (I like newsagents)! :D

I agree about the mag; hasn't the same features and seems a bit competitive in it's nature now! I'm not interested in the cute plot, but the real growers, & not the celeb round up. I always remember the article about the Italian grower with his wonderful basil and the growers from different cultural backgrounds making things work in the UK, they need to dig deeper with these types of things, cross the cultural divide! It's mainstream now, but their challenges can be transferred, not to mention their hints & tips.

I am quite concerned about the lack of contributors - what is wrong? We get the odd one pop on in recipes - does that need more emphasis?

Thanks for the poll - will answer when have more alternatives!

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

Im with westi

I get it every month without fail at the moment, but cant commit to a subscription because my income is so variable
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I have been buying it since issue 4. Though now I share it with a fellow plot holder.
Johnboy
KG Regular

I read the magazine when I can get it. It is on order with the local magazine supplier but more and more often it simply doesn't arrive.
I know that I could easily have it delivered but I support my locals because hereabouts it is a case of use it or lose it.
In the last few weeks I have been trying hard to take part in things yet when we get two new people asked questions it was the originator of this thread and another who thought it clever to play silly buggers and the two new people never came back.
You then wonder why we do not get newcomers to the forum. So funny are these people who do not realise it takes people quite a lot to post a question for fear of being ridiculed.
You can take the P--s out of me for as long as you like but all you do is frighten people away. The one person you will not frighten is me and I am sure I have my own way of dealing with smart arses.
Over the years we have helped many people to enjoy the raising of kitchen garden fare and yes some of us are getting old which means
we have gone through many seasons with different sets of growing circumstances and encountered many different pests, including the human ones, and we have learned by our mistakes and we have tried to help those new to growing not to make the mistakes we have made but of course the modern gardener who reads too many glossy magazines that make out growing vegetables is soooo easy feels that their glossy magazine writers are so far superior to anybody on this forum.
Throw those magazines away and stick with "our Magazine" which tries hard to help all of us.
Also remember some of us are highly qualified, although old, still have the knowledge to pass on. But do you want to learn or do you wish to fool about?
Make your choice before it is too late.
JB.
robo
KG Regular

I've made my choice, a forum that's devoid of humour is not for me I find the above post needles and insulting to some members I don't want to be a member of this type of forum goodbye
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Come come lads & lasses. surely we are made of better stuff.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I enjoy talking and exchanging views and info from everyone who is on the forum. I think we all enjoy gardening and have lots of knowledge to draw from.

I think it's up to the magazine to encourage new people.

I used to subscribe to the Organic Gardening magazine and stayed with Kitchen Garden magazine when they took the other one over.

I've not really taken much notice, but can we use the on line magazine as part of our subscription or do we have to pay for that separately?
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

can we use the on line magazine as part of our subscription or do we have to pay for that separately?

There is online and online...

From what I can gather, if you are a subscriber you can access more content on the KG website - but i have to say i find this new website not very appealing. So am completely unsure what extra content I can access with my subscription...

But if you subscribe to the paper edition, you can not (for the same price) also access the digital edition - you need to pay extra for that.

Which I think is a short sighted decision by the publisher as they would gain much more by embedding everything together paper/online/forums/digital to create an ecosystem that feeds on itself.
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Stephen
KG Regular

Like others, I have had a subscription. I have also bought the magazine from newsagents (I, too, want shops to survive on our High Streets).
Yes, go through a few years and many articles are familiar.
I also became disillusioned by the yawning gap between the date on the magazine and that on the calendar. I want February's issue to artive/be available on or just before 1 February not weeks away (and, no just putting it to one side is not the same, just as listening to a sports commentary is not the same if it is not live)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Westi
KG Regular

It's all a trifle confusing this what you can & can't access isn't it?

The magazine is fine, I use it for prompts what needs to go in, but then again being at the tropical end of the country I usually judge for myself - not always successfully , but mostly. (I'm not including this year in that). Some articles are beneficial but some I flip the page.

On here is where I seek proper advice from proper growers, even the newbies I consider 'proper growers', as they ask the questions I had forgotten about, or surprise me completely with having something ready way before it should be - green fingered maybe or just found a formula that could be transferrable. I love the fact we have farmers & individuals whose skills have been passed down the decades who answer the same old thing year after year, who have lived in hard times and learnt skills we wouldn't know about, and in my case have showed amazing tolerance.

I like the fact people feel free to post on general chat anything that gets on their nerves, it's general chat, it's about opinions, events, rants, lives and losses, observations and fun. We have the other topics to get the answers to the garden stuff, which are not for all the above, but to give advice. If I don't like something I dismiss it, start another thread, move on to the next post or review the old stuff for gleams of knowledge, not just move off completely.

Come on everyone, live & let live. Maybe we need a like/unlike option to show what we think but whatever, who knows what has happened to that person today or whenever, that triggered a post that we don't like? We know nothing of each others lives but a post on her is already water under the bridge the minute it is posted unless you react.

Westi
Westi
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

West - this is a fab idea to get an opportunity to like a post.

My partner keeps on saying he really likes the way everybody on this forum is so nice and helpful. Being able to click a small 'thumbs up' would be top!

KG - are you reading these - pretty please?
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Oscar!

Wonder if Mr FB has put a patent on it? Maybe not though actually, I'm on a cooking forum that uses it! Would certainly allow someone to express what they feel without the angst of explaining.

Nice & helpful is exactly right in my opinion, exactly why I gravitated away from some other sites that were downright condescending, give me gruff to the point answers other that anytime!

All we need is our own symbols - weed or vegetable??

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic