Savoy cabbages

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

FredFromOssett
KG Regular

For the past 15 years I have grown Savoy cabbage Mila, (Marshalls seeds), following a recommendation from a contributor to (I believe) KG magazine. It has been the best performing Savoy I have known; heads are consistently large, firm, a lovely flavour and texture, stand well on the plot and keep well when cut.

This seed no longer appears to be available, so for a couple of years I have also grown Alaska, (Marshalls). These have been very disappointing in comparison, with far less robust growth, a tougher texture and poorer flavour. Does anyone have a recommendation for a really good Savoy cabbage?

Mila still appears in the Marshalls on-line catalogue, but is shown as out of stock. My attempt at getting information from them regarding this variety has met with no response.

Recommendations please as my seed supply has finally run out. :idea:
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Fred
I wonder if Unwins 'Miletta' is the same thing

http://www.unwins.co.uk/cabbage-savoy-m ... d3919.html

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Thanks Pa.
From the picture on the seed packet it certainly looks very similar to Mila, and from the recommended spacing is likely to be a similar size. I shall certainly bear this one in mind.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Fred,
Although not an absolutely true Savoy I have always found the January King 2 is as good as you can get. I have never been the slightest dissapointed with it's performance and the characteristics are so similar.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

Until this year when they succumbed badly to clubroot I would have suggested Tundra, so if you soil is clean you could try it.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
The club root is nothing to do with the variety as well you know. Tundra and any other cabbage can befall the same fate.
My all means recommend something but to condemn January King because yours had club root is a bit rich.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

You got me wrong JB, it is my Tundra that have got clubroot this year. I have had quite a few things get it in the bed I am using this year but some are clearly more resistant than others even when they are not acknowledged resistant varieties, I was just saying Tundra was one of the ones that suffered. Kilaton, for example, a resistant variety is fine, harvested an 8½lb specimen today, they are next to the Tundra. The other side of the Tundra are Dwarf Green Curly Kale and they are OK but I don't think they are supposed to be resistant. I don't understand why I have so much trouble this year, I haven't imported any plants, I hope the bed planned for next year is clean.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
I totally misunderstood what you had said.
Silly old me!
Sincerely,
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic