Is vegetable grow an art or simply a hobby?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

WestHamRon
KG Regular

Johnboy wrote:I think that Alan's answer hits it on the head. There is an art to pricking out successfully to obtain the maximum but that is through skill. It is for sure an accomplishment and when you bring in a crop successfully there is a great feeling of achievement.
In the past I had seven mouths to feed and we were self reliant in vegetables and to a great deal self sufficient in meat.
We had two house cows, Half a dozen Bullocks, half a dozen Tamwworth sows and a Boar, twentyfive Maran hens with two cockerels and used to breed chickens for sale and another flock for the pot using another twentyfive nondescript hens and a Polish cockerel and just to vary things half a dozen Aylesbury ducks and a Drake.
I now live alone and have such wonderful thoughts of back to those days. Now no livestock and have to employ somebody to do my digging and half the time my planting out.
If I could not continue to grow things then I would not last much longer. I still propogate dozens and dozens of shubs for sale and
I have enjoyed every single minute of it.
JB.

Another bit for your book.
I assume the bullocks were for breeding, but I'm a townie.
Westi
KG Regular

Good to see you back Pa!

How's the compost going? Was thinking of you when my pallet compost heap collapsed and my neighbour noted my fine compost at the lower levels. Now I was not planning on using it as it has got invaded with all sorts of weeds and stuff from the plot next door having been neglected for a while before new neighbour took it on. I'm dumping the new stuff I dig up into another pile and my winter project is to sort through the main compost, maybe sift some of it, but would like to heat it ideally, but to use it! It's 12 years worth of compost in that so got to be pretty good stuff!

Now that will make veg growing more than an art or a hobby - more of an adventure with a bit of self inflicted torture!

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Westham Ron,
In a roundabout way the Bullocks were used for breeding. The five children I raised ate the beef from the bullocks and I now have eleven grandchildren.
Apart from that it is a load of bullocks!
JB.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

WestHamRon wrote:
Johnboy wrote:I think that Alan's answer hits it on the head. There is an art to pricking out successfully to obtain the maximum but that is through skill. It is for sure an accomplishment and when you bring in a crop successfully there is a great feeling of achievement.
In the past I had seven mouths to feed and we were self reliant in vegetables and to a great deal self sufficient in meat.
We had two house cows, Half a dozen Bullocks, half a dozen Tamwworth sows and a Boar, twentyfive Maran hens with two cockerels and used to breed chickens for sale and another flock for the pot using another twentyfive nondescript hens and a Polish cockerel and just to vary things half a dozen Aylesbury ducks and a Drake.
I now live alone and have such wonderful thoughts of back to those days. Now no livestock and have to employ somebody to do my digging and half the time my planting out.
If I could not continue to grow things then I would not last much longer. I still propogate dozens and dozens of shubs for sale and
I have enjoyed every single minute of it.
JB.

Another bit for your book.
I assume the bullocks were for breeding, but I'm a townie.

What did you do in your spare time. :wink:
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I had visions of the "house cows" lounging in armchairs :D
dan3008
KG Regular

plum, something like this?
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Johnboy
KG Regular

Oh Dan I like that one! In fact that is probably your best to date. That made me roar with laughter. I shall be giggling all afternoon!
Sincerely,
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Funny Dan Numbers!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You've got it spot on Dan :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic