Putting garlic in the fridge prior to planting

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Reading the other day of a suggestion that as our winters are getting milder and wetter. Garlic should be placed in a domestic fridge for two weeks prior to planting out. Thoughts and suggestions welcome. :?
Geoff
KG Regular

Every time I hear Garlic has to be frosted to divide properly I raise the question "what is the climate like where most Garlic is grown?" I just plant mine, which I did a couple of days ago, and leave it to get on with it. It doesn't always grow that big but it always divides. I was perhaps a bit early planting this year but I am busy with new patio doors, then decorating then going away for a few days so I am trying to get ahead of myself having been running behind most of the Summer.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Will you ever actually get ahead Geoff ?

Since I aborted Autumn sowings for garlic I question why we do it, ok, it gets going, then sits all winter suffering and subject to damp. My Autumn sown garlic was never better than Spring sown and subject to damp rot.

The cynic in me says it's just the marketing people shifting stock even considering the reasons given, if we planted garlic in Autumn and protected it or maybe Autumn planting is ok in milder regions it would make sense if only to get something in the ground.

There, I did it. Stuck my neck out at a time I should be listening and not talking. (Sheepish grin)
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

I dont know about any practical application, but garlic always seems to sprout well in the fridge. So maybe there is something to it
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Nor do I understand that Dan and I can't pontificate about growing garlic when my sum-total of experience is 3 to 4 seasons.

My garlic starts to sprout, or show signs of wanting to sprout every spring. That's when I buy garlic for the kitchen saving the sprouting garlic for planting. Some sprouts, some doesn't so I put some in the fridge. The fridge garlic didn't sprout more than the garlic being stored in the shed that rarely gets below 10 degrees in winter.

When I put the cloves in the ground I have usually done something to either warm the soil or I cover the sown garlic. I also did a test against uncovered garlic. The garlic that was covered sprouted much more quickly than the uncovered which to me means the garlic responded to warmth. Covered means mini polytunnels.

I still wouldn't argue about growing garlic, just share my experience. Leaving garlic to overwinter means loosing half the crop to rot or stunted growth.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Monika
KG Regular

Our allotment is very exposed to cold winds, I have never covered my garlic and usually get a good crop (this year they were particularly large) and no failures. I can't say the same for overwintering onions (Radar and Electric) where there are often gaps by spring. I have certainly never put them into the fridge before planting - winter weather will do.
Primrose
KG Regular

A different garlic planting query . - I have some elephant garlic bulbs saved from my summer harvest, some of which have gone rather green, rather like potatoes exposed to too much sunlight.

Two questions:
1. Are they safe to eat?
2. Will they be OK to plant out for a new crop next year?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've never grown elephant garlic Primrose so can't comment.

I grow a hard neck garlic from my own saved cloves that I hang in a net in a cool dry place. I choose a couple of good sized bulbs with enough cloves for next year. When they start growing shoots I plant them in pots and stand them in the cold frame, then I plant them out in the garden when conditions are suitable in February or March.

Some years one or two don't divide but most years they all do, and we usually get plenty of frost anyway here so chilling them doesn't seem to make any difference.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I had often thought about planting garlic cloves in pots to over-winter as a solution to the winter damage they sustain though after two successfull seasons of Spring sown garlic I can se the point for me.

Here is a question, my garlick is always scruffy. Never clean like store-bought garlic, it's no biggy but do any of you get your garlic clean ? Mo was preparing some of my garlic yesterday and commented that whilst my garlic has good sized and healthy cloves she thought I should wash it. (I just smiled and said, "of course dear")
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well I think the outer papery skins of garlic are often covered with soil marks when they've dried but it should be possible to remove the outermost layer and get a clean bulb underneath. It is probably very much like onions. When you pull them up they still have soil dust on them but this can be wiped off with a damp cloth if you're fussy and any dirt comes off with the outer skin layer. .

Of course the supermarket products are immaculately clean and I imagine they're all subjected to a bulk washing process but you'd also have to be capable of drying them very quickly otherwise they would rot if they were stored for any length of time.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've never washed garlic. I just rub off any loose skin when it is thoroughly dry and clip the old roots back. They certainly aren't as clean as shop bought ones but who cares (your wife :) )
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

As the weather changes so my daily routine changes, colder weather means the inside jobs get done. I'm a clean and tidy person (not counting the shed) but never quite clean and tidy enough and whilst I'm always happy to listen and respond to reasonable criticism washing garlic isn't reasonable.

In the shed the garlic has hung since I lifted it, the loose soil falls away bit-by-bit. When I go to get a head of garlic it gets a quick rub, gets broken into cloves and stored in the garlic pot.

That's my clean and tidy.
Richard.
Johnboy
KG Regular

I would suggest that the words Garlic and Fridge should never appear in the same sentence.
One of the most successful garlics is the French Rose Garlic and that is planted after Christmas until around mid-January.
I feel that the most sensible suggestion is from Plum Pudding which seem to give the best chance of planting in favourable conditions.
With her suggestion she has the best of both worlds.
The storing suggestion from The Rose Garlic Association is to store garlic at room temperature but where it is produced has some fairly harsh weather conditions in the planting period.
JB.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks for that JB, I just looked for Rose garlic and copy/pasted part of the vendors comment.

we recommend that the Pink Lautrec is used by Christmas to eat it at its best.
Do not store in a fridge

Maybe they say that because it may sprout In the fridge ? :?

Just joking of course.
Richard.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Richard,
I am always ready to experiment and this will be the experiment for the year.
The way to propagate Lillies and other bulbous plants is by scaling. Removing the scales with a fragment of the base plate and immerse them in sulphur powder sealing any exposed surfaces. With fine grade vermiculite which has been wetted until it is all moist and place in a largish polythene bag put my garlic cloves into the bag blow it up by blowing with mouth and seal the bag and lay it aside at room temperature. This should cause the garlic to germinate and when it has produced some roots I will then plant into 7cm square pots place in the coldframe and plant out probably last week in February/first week in March weather depending.
I will do this on the first of October as I have to go into hospital for a couple of weeks on the sixth. When I return I expect there will be roots appearing. Or will there be? If I have failed I will be strictly honest and tell you.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic