Life on the allotment through photos

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

MelanieH
KG Regular

Just stumbled across this post - love looking at the pictures of what everyone is growing. I have had to join a VERY long waiting list to try and get an allotment, so for now it is a small patch of garden (only 8 x 2 ft) and my small greenhouse (6 x 3ft) to keep me going.
I shouldn't complain we got plenty out of that very small patch last year, just have to be creative with what and how I plant (any buy plenty of deep pots that I can use for root veg) :oops:
Westi
KG Regular

Pleased to see my shallots are splitting, and just a little pic of Plum Beauty's beautiful blossom which is still bursting forth in abandon. Fingers crossed for a good harvest but seen nothing on the wing to pollinate them, so still with the paintbrush! If you tasted one you'd understand why I've gone all anorak!

IMG_2342.jpg
IMG_2342.jpg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2343.jpg (75.98 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Shallots are looking good Westi

Got nothing like your blossom on our trees yet

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Nothing on my other trees Pa! Just this one - frightens me every year by doing this early blossom. It's 4yrs old I think this year so expecting a good crop. Got about 20 plums last year & that was with a big frost right in the middle of blossom, but that was a couple of weeks later than the silly thing has flowered this year!

I love shallots, not just the taste but the way they look on the plot! Amazes me how from one you get many. They are quite structural, standing proud!

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Progress - broad beans in, lots of shallots and quarter dug!

(Having to re size photos - impacts he quality unfortunately )
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (658.99 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (669.79 KiB) Viewed 3405 times
Last edited by Pawty on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westi
KG Regular

Did It!

Cleared behind the shed that is! Forgot we had put pavers on all that area as haven't seen the ground behind there for about 3 years! Managed to create a new pile of hedge trimmings to burn as well & more rubbish to take to the dump! Very busy down lottie today, seems the fair weather gardeners all came out together, but good to catch up with everyone!

Lottie got battered in the wind at the beginning of the week, so my usual game of retrieving plastic & mesh out of the trees, even blew the path up this time & killed my little pretend greenhouse. All in all not much sowing & growing, more repairing!
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg (78.95 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
IMG_2341.jpg
IMG_2341.jpg (55.23 KiB) Viewed 3418 times

Globe Artichokes & Yellow raspberries looking happy! Must remember to play with re-sizer after done & crop to new size - sorry!

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Beautiful day on the allotment today - Great to see our pollinators out in force!

Cycle of life - last of the leeks taken up, just as my seeds for this year have started to germinate.

A lovely gent gave me some roof felt to repair my shed which I am up cycling. The look on his face was priceless when, in return I offered him my left over shed paint - fuscia pink :lol: apparently a first at our allotments......
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (986.08 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (410.42 KiB) Viewed 3402 times
Pawty
KG Regular

Finally feel like I've broke the back of it (and mine!). The the before and after of two weekends work.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (411.08 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (804.4 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Pawty, a magnificent effort indeed.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Agree with OH, well done

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Amazing work on your lotty... And amazing photos :D I love the photo of the bee :D
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Next weekends jobs include making two small raised beds in the area not yet dug (one small one which will be for globe artichokes seedlings) and painting my up cycled shed (pink and blue - I'll do before and after photos - in fact I may start a new thread called craziest allotment shed!)

Not for the allotment, but I also need to assemble my new potting bench - present from the husband - a hint for me to stop making such a mess maybe??

Now, how do I use a hammer, saw and drill?? First aid kit at the ready..... :lol:
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:
Now, how do I use a hammer, saw and drill?? First aid kit at the ready..... :lol:

Pawty may I suggest you make life a little easier for yourself and invest in a Trini Lopez

Westi
KG Regular

Talking about painting the shed - Mr Westi really surprised me today by creosoting the shed while I was at work! Chuffed to bits - but he may still end in the dog house if he has killed any of the plants planted near/on it! Hoping the smell of the stuff will dissuade the ?rats (big droppings so unlikely mice), & spiders from squatting as well!

I know Creosote is now banned but have a little inherited hoard, & law says just can't buy it, not use it! (I think anyway)!

Westi
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

What a difference a week makes. Broad beans up, shallots looking promising and potatoes in. I even put in a small row of carrot seeds and some flower seeds for the bees.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (672.97 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (604.91 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic