Break-ins.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Beryl
KG Regular

Now I've heard it all. We all know allotments are rich pickings for vandals and break ins, they tend to go in cycles and this year Elson (my site) was broken into but fortunately the lads were spotted by a vigilant neighbour, police called and they were apprehended before any damage could be done. But on the Brockhurst site a complete greenhouse door was lifted. How low can these people sink.

Beryl.
dan3008
KG Regular

can someone just confirm I read that right

The trouble makers took a greenhouse door at the Brockhurst site?

why would anyone want to take a greenhouse door? Seriously, its got no value on its own...

You sure it wasnt one of the other allotment holders nicking it to replace a broken one? lol ;)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, I am sure it was nicked to replace one. Probably a broken one or someone was doing a DIY job building a greenhouse. Either way it was the lowest of the low.

Beryl.
dan3008
KG Regular

it is totally ridiculous. how could anyone nick part of a greenhouse? its rediculus

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

Some folk always surprise!

When they visit our plot they take nonsense stuff sometimes as well, took my carrier bag of seeds a few years back, all were opened & loads out of date, dug up some potatoes & the like! (Another job on the to do list not done)! :D

We have lost more important & expensive stuff though as well, now we all know those visits are from 'professionals', rest could be kids or other plot holders. Yours sound like the later, maybe not your plot but maybe nearby ones or houses overlooking?

Westi
Karma might say all the glass will break out of that door!
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Maybe it was an act of sabotage - were they growing amazingly large veg, and there's a competition coming up.......

I have the philosophy that if anyone needs veg - just take what you need but don't damage anything while doing it.

What really annoys me is when someone comes along and nicks everything. On our site we've had people come along and take all of a plots garlics and onions. Once someone came along and destroyed all the pumpkins - devastating that someone would be this.

We've also had thefts from the sheds where the association equipment is stored - either a lucky guess or well informed.

Vandalism and theft at the allotment makes me very sad......

Pawty
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Many moons ago, when we all had our own beat copper, was told by him, buy a can of car undercoat spray. Put a dash on all machinery, and garden tools. As most stolen tools ETC turn up at the nearest car boot sale. Yours will stick out like a sore thumb. :wink:
robo
KG Regular

We had a Speight of break inns around 3years ago I lost 2 generators and a leccy tiller amongst other things since then we have been left alone although I did fit a shed alarm as well as a padlock with an alarm I also put signs up on the shed door warning about alarms, our perimeter fence is 8 feet tall and the top 18 inches was painted in anti vandal paint ,it did not stop them,what did annoy me was the attitude of some of my fellow plotters who refused to lock their sheds as they said they had nothing worth taking apart from hammers and other tools they used to break in to locked sheds
Geoff
KG Regular

What's the scrap value of Aluminium?
alan refail
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:What's the scrap value of Aluminium?

alu.PNG
alu.PNG (46.58 KiB) Viewed 4079 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
dan3008
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:What's the scrap value of Aluminium?

Aluminium is surprisingly cheap at the moment. I was looking recently, because I was given an old set of tools for recycling aluminium drinks cans... Pitty, Its not worth the fuel (charcoal mainly) to fire it up to melt the cans...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic