Another moan.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

I recently moaned about the poor quality of the onion nets I bought. Just started to use the potato sacks bought at the same time from the same seeds-man.The sacking is so fine you can almost see through them. Have decided to play safe and double them up. :( :(
peter
KG Regular

If you're talking hessian, I gave up on them years ago, like rustic net curtains. :(

Nowadays I use paper potato sacks, much better. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

We gave up keeping our potatoes in hessian or paper sacks some years ago because they are so difficult to check throughout the storage. We use flat apple boxes with thick newspapers between the layers because it's so easy to see any which might start to rot. It's probably easier for us because we now grow such few potatoes when even when we had lots, the flat boxes were really convenient to stack.
snooky
KG Regular

My current moan lately is the number of oak trees growing from the acorns which dropped from the oak trees last Autumn and which I failed to pick or were buried by squirrels.It seems that twenty or so new plants appear every day and are pulled up by myself.Surprising really when for about a month when they were falling I was picking up a bucketful a day.Likewise my next door neighbour.Waiting to see what the three Oaks are going to drop on us this year!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Snooky,
The creature that buries the most acorns is the Jay. It seems to be the lifes work of Jays to bury acorns.
At present we are growing an inordinate number of Oak trees for restocking some woodland.
You could of course grow a few yourself and plant them, as yearlings, in a place where a mechanical hedge cutter cannot ruin their progress.
I have a purple beech quite close to my house and I have lived here for over thirty years and in all the years it has only managed to regenerate four seeds which have been nurtured and planted out in the woodland and are doing very well. I am also growing beech trees and several other varieties of tree for restocking the woodland.
JB.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic