Not many butterflies this year.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

A few more butterflies today, including a speckled wood which seemed newly emerged.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Yes Monika, I noticed three or four newly emerged Speckled woods yesterday but not much else.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Well, I've just removed a ladybird from my bedroom ceiling. Still not seen any in the garden but I've found a rose with aphids and put it on there. Unfortunately, I think it might be a harlequin ladybird. It isn't particularly large but looks like the succinea form in my I. D. guide. I suppose it's better than none at all and it's tucking into the aphids.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Plenty of cabbage whites though.
alan refail
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:Plenty of cabbage whites though.

All I can say to that is that the whites are greatly outnumbered here by the peacocks, small tortoiseshells, painted ladies and red admirals. I am expecting clouds of them in the sunshine this weekend.

And a heartening story :)

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... troduction

large blue.jpg
large blue.jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pawty
KG Regular

No where near as many butterflies as normal here. I've just got myself a butterfly I.d book so will try and report back on what we have.

Husband knows them all, so when I ask what's the brown/ white/ speckled one called I'm not that helpful.

I've tried to take some photos but I'm sure they're really smart and know the exact time to take off!

We get elephant hawk moth caterpillars regularly on the huge fuscia plant we have.. Haven't seen any this year.

Pawty
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

There were a small copper and a blue this morning in the sunshine but it's raining now so I hope they've found a good place to shelter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic