Parsnip sap a reminder.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Whilst weeding on Sunday I must have got my arm on a leaf or two
Parsnip.jpg
Parsnip.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A worthy reminder indeed, Peter.......I had an arm full of blisters from them one year and they are not funny.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
dan3008
KG Regular

That's exactly why I won't grow parsnips.. Although I hear its relative the hog weed, is worse
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Tony Hague
KG Regular

There is no chance of me suffering that this year ! It is a shame parsnip sap is not as irritant to slugs as it is to humans :twisted:

But on a more serious note, I have had this once, from parsnip Albion I think. But I have never had it from Tender and True. Have I been lucky, or do the varieties vary in this regard ?
peter
KG Regular

A work colleague mentioned this morning that by his mum's place, where parsnips are grown commercially. The pickers wear finger to neck & all down the front waterproof protection.
Like putting on a coat back to front with gloves sewn on the end of the sleeves. :shock:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

Funny year this one, I normally grow parsnips it's one of my contributions to our family crimbo dinner , I normally struggle I usually get just enough for the one dinner this year my first sowings failed my second lot showed through with in one week I think I got a parsnip for every seed I sown, two weeks ago I decided to thin them the ones I pulled I decided to replant rather than bin them ,every one is now growing strong I have enough to feed a big chunk of the north west
Pawty
KG Regular

Thanks for the heads up - I never knew this! I get a bad itchy reaction to carrot leaves and courgettes so will probably react to parsnips.

This is the first year I've been successful with parsnips so I will be careful when I finally get around to weeding!

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

Exactly why I got anxious when neighbour stopped working his plot & left all his parsnips in, which in turn flowered & self seeded everywhere. I looked very glamorous covered head to toe with any old stuff I could find in the shed holding the hoe by the tip knocking his monsters down near the fence line. Damn things still popping up everywhere on my plot.

I thought the sap had to be exposed to sunlight to cause the blisters? Is this the case or am I confused as per norm! :?

On another similar note, I've developed an allergy to nettle stings suddenly! The old dock leaf thing doesn't work now & I get weeny blisters that irritate for hours! A friend told me to try lemon oil so went & got some from the health shop & this guide leader was there, so chatting to her about whether it would work she told me it is not dock, but another plant that is similar looking but folklore has translated it to dock leaf? Any thoughts what this might be?

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Exactly why I got anxious when neighbour stopped working his plot & left all his parsnips in, which in turn flowered & self seeded everywhere. I looked very glamorous covered head to toe with any old stuff I could find in the shed holding the hoe by the tip knocking his monsters down near the fence line. Damn things still popping up everywhere on my plot.

That's just nasty of him... Ruins near by plots for everyone else when people do that
Westi wrote:I thought the sap had to be exposed to sunlight to cause the blisters? Is this the case or am I confused as per norm! :?

Yes and no. Its specifically the uv in sunlight it reacts with to cause the reaction. So don't go into a night club with parsnip sap on your hands lol

Westi wrote:On another similar note, I've developed an allergy to nettle stings suddenly! The old dock leaf thing doesn't work now & I get weeny blisters that irritate for hours! A friend told me to try lemon oil so went & got some from the health shop & this guide leader was there, so chatting to her about whether it would work she told me it is not dock, but another plant that is similar looking but folklore has translated it to dock leaf? Any thoughts what this might be?

Westi

Nasty. I've had that all my life, and its a real pain when gardening... I did find lemon juice to help. Not bicarbonate of soda, vinegar can help too. Something to do with pH apparently.
Re dock. They are right, and wrong. The way my scout leader used to tell it, there are 2 types of doc, common doc and the rarer lesser spotted doc. Its the lesser spotted doc that supposedly cures nettle stings.
Of course take that with a pinch of salt, the same scout leader also swore blind the scar on his arm was from fighting a yettie

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

Oh Dan, you cynic!

He meant the Skoda Yeti, probably caught his arm on the wing mirror squeezing through between 2 cars! :D :D

Westi
PS: Lemon oil worked well actually!
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Oh Dan, you cynic!

He meant the Skoda Yeti, probably caught his arm on the wing mirror squeezing through between 2 cars! :D :D

Westi
PS: Lemon oil worked well actually!

I laughed way more than I should at that one :D

Pawty
KG Regular

Worse sting I get on a regular occasion at the allotment is from red ants - really hurt and itch for days. This years been a really bad year for them.

Only thing I've found to sort out the itch is an antihistamine cream, but, apart from not being bit in the first place, not sure what other solutions there are.

This gardening malarkey is a dangerous hobby - even the veg are out to get you!

Pawty
dan3008
KG Regular

I'll have to see if I can find a clip from my daughters favourate episode of tree fu tom, Theres an episode where they grow carrots, but things go strange and they think the carrots are trying to get them...

As for red ants, belive it or not, a small smear of vapour rub on your ankles and wrists will stop them climbing onto you, and therefore stop the bites. Apparently it disrupts their sense of smell

Primrose
KG Regular

Well I have onky had three parsnip seeds germinate this year from two sowings so I doubt I'll be needing my white forensic boiler suit protection when I eventually harvest them. Last year I had so many I didn't know what to do with them. I have left one in the ground which is now ripenng some seed . I'm wondering whether if I save the seed I'll have a better chance of it germinating next spring.
robo
KG Regular

I've had to thin mine again today thanks to this post I decided to wear gloves, I've replanted the thinnings as I hate waste
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic