Not Veg!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I've got this guy growing in my lottie flower bed out the front. Comes up each year, I've grubbed around & can't find a bulb so thought maybe an Orchid, but my flower mate can't find what it is? I didn't plant it, just popped up & I was amazed the first time I saw it & even more amazed that it comes up bigger & better each year!

Any help appreciated! Be good to know, just for a bit of a dig at my mate or would be even better if it was rare as could help the fight to save lottie site. I know unlikely as I have seen similar on garden programmes, but my mate does know her flowers & says is different from ones she can find on her gardening sites.

Westi
PTDC0084.JPG
PTDC0084.JPG (244.29 KiB) Viewed 2997 times
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Westi

Google Lycaste, which apparently is the national flower of Guatemala :shock:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Rare enough to then - how the hell did it get on lottie from Guatemala? Don't think it will sway the council though!

Westi
Westi
alan refail
KG Regular

Hi Westi,

Maybe you could use it to persuade the council to set up a twinning with Chichicastenango which has a similar population to Christchurch :wink:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Westi
KG Regular

Would be more creative than twinning with - Christchurch NZ! Doubt they'd go for a town they can't pronounce!

Westi
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Well my friend the flower anorak says not my plant, some rant about stamens & petal shape & other such technical flower talk!

Back to the drawing board!

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

dan3008
KG Regular

whatever it is, its a beautiful flower :)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Westi
KG Regular

Geoff that does look more like it! It's a ringer for the top one in that picture, although not quite as yellow!

Dan numbers: It's a beaut, very unusual! Good conversation starter, people just have to stop & look closely at it & start to chat!

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Glad you agree, I thought the Wikipedia one was spot on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic