Last of the summer wine syndrome !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Every year about this time I find myself looking at those vegetables which are coming to the end of their cropping life life like climbing beans and tomatoes and wondering how much more I can get out of them even if they've already supplied me generously.
I have a few small straggling beans still trying to form and some last truss tomatoes the size of marbles which I feel I must give
a fighting chance to have their moment of glory while the sun still shines.

Am I just mean and tightfisted in not wanting to waste anything? Does anybody else feel like this or do you all charge in ruthlessly and pull up your faded haulms as soon as you decide any final crops are not worth hanging on for?
Diane
KG Regular

I'm the ruthless sort....if a veg plant is just about hanging on...then it gets relocated to the compost heap and I plant an overwintering veg in its place.

I suppose it all comes down to how much spare room you have for veg growing. I'm a bit short of space so have to make the most of the small raised bed.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm like you Primrose, i try and nurse things along to get the very last crop.....but i do get ruthless once i start the Winter digging. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Same as you Primrose, it there is any new crop on that might just make it if we get an Indian Summer & a bit of green left in the plant I nurse them through, sometimes even give them a wee foliar feed if chances are good.

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Diane, I am like you - when they have done their stuff, they are out, even if they still have a little bit of life left in them. I enjoy the autumn clearing as much as the preparations and sowings in spring.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic