Mid Summer Bits and Bobs - 2016.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I wonder whether KG could have a separate forum to discuss particular plants and varieties and say how they have performed so we don't have to delve through all the other places comments appear.

We already have one, it is called Technical Data. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm certainly not criticising this because I often thought something like this is missing from the forum, however, during the last two seasons of my apprenticeship that is in its fourth season I realised I'm trying to grow crops in ground that is not best suited to that crop and not just in a nutritional way.

A vague example is that whilst it grows in pots my Rosemary plants are magnificent now they are in the ground, I grew these plants from cuttings taken from comparatively sad specimens.

Another example is carrots, it's taken me all my apprenticeship to grow carrots where they are happy and even though they are different varieties to those I usually sow its to do with the soil.

In both these examples success is about soil and position, I'm ill qualified to give more examples even though these two examples have encouraged me during a time of enthusiastic drought.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

It sure would be interesting to have a "plant directory" section. Maybe further split into "fruit" "veg" "other"
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Primrose
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I wonder whether KG could have a separate forum to discuss particular plants and varieties and say how they have performed so we don't have to delve through all the other places comments appear.

I second this idea of having a separate forum section for this. . Some of us struggle trying to grow certain plants and often it can be caused by specific growing conditions rather than lack of gardening skill. Benefitting from others' experiences and techniques would be helpful.
peter
KG Regular

Sally.jpg
Sally.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 3541 times
Absolutely miserable and howling sad today.

Had to take our little dog on a final visit to the vet this morning. She had a steak supper with a strawberry yogurt for supper last night, bacon & egg for breakfast, then a last gentle walk.

Sally 20/04/2002 - 07/09/2016.
Old age was unkind to her.
Bye bye puppy princess.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
dan3008
KG Regular

peter wrote:Sally 20/04/2002 - 07/09/2016.
Bye bye puppy princess.

I feel for your pain peter. Deepest sympathies. Losing a loving pet is always hard :( My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh gosh, you must have woken up with such a heavy heart this morning knowing what lay ahead.

So sorry. Hopefully when the initial hurt has passed you'll still have that lovely photo to remind you of the happy times you had together.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm very sad right now knowing you are going through and right now I'm working on Molly's grave at the head of our front lawn.

Such a sad time for you Peter, and you had the courage to take your puppy for the final visit. I'm not sure I could cope thorough it us our final respectfulll duty.

I'm welling up again for you and your puppy.

No more pain.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'm so sorry Peter, she looks a lovely dog. It is so difficult to make the decision, but you have to think about what is best for your pet. I almost took my 17 year old cat to be put to sleep after she hadn't eaten for a week and she could hardly stand up, then last week she suddenly started eating again and has perked up so I'm glad I waited a bit longer, but if they've struggled with I'll health for a while you know when it is the kindest thing to do.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Regarding the section for discussing how different varieties have done, I had looked through the options and didn't think of it fitting technical data but will use that one in future. Thanks.
Westi
KG Regular

So sorry to hear about Sally Peter!

Absolutely gutting to loose a pet, but console yourself with 14 years of companionship with the most non- judgemental member of your family! Brilliant age, lovely consideration to make it so special in the end. Makes me very sad reading your post and remembering the ones in our wee pet cemetery.

My thoughts are with you & your family.

Sincerely,
Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Life can be really tough at times, but just hold on to all those wonderful memories, Peter.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

peter wrote:
Sally.jpg

Sally 20/04/2002 - 07/09/2016.
Bye bye puppy princess.

I have posted a version of this before, no apologies for posting it again.
Know how you are feeling Peter.
14+ a good age but no consolation at this moment.
Thoughts are with you

Rainbows Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Johnboy
KG Regular

Oh Peter I feel for your loss. I have just read Pa Snip's posting and can barely see the screen.
Most sincerely,
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

Some 'Americanism' are indeed worth adopting!

I first read the Rainbow Bridge several years ago, when curiosity got to me while reading about a chap on Facebook who rescues older dogs & he built a wee bridge over a stream to a pet cemetery he created & he painted it like a rainbow - stunning little bridge caught my attention, as did his wonderful gesture. He was wheeling the old doggies in a wheelbarrow and lifting them out to lay on the grass so they were out everyday. (He got nominated & won a considerable amount of money to support his rescue site as it was just him & his Mrs & they were struggling but determined).

Believing in seeing them all again some day is another comfort that makes the sorrow more bearable at the time.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic