Mid Summer Bits and Bobs - 2016.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Or should it be Autumn bits and bobs?
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Grew Moonlight this year. An utter flop. :(
dan3008
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I've enjoyed this month's KG mag., well the October edition.

me to plum, me too :D I particularly like the how to - cold frame. thats going to be my autum project :D
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Geoff
KG Regular

Knackered – silly day yesterday.
My wife’s Aunt and Cousin came for the day from Windermere, about 30 miles away, but when they tried to leave the car wouldn’t start because of a flat battery. I had some ancient corroded jump leads but they didn’t help and the neighbours haven’t got any so, as they had a full membership, they called out the AA. So at just after 7:30 they said they would be here by 8:40. Just as the time was up we got a call “I’m here, where are you?” – patrol had gone to Windermere. After a couple more calls they said that patrol was end of shift and they couldn’t send another so they were calling out a garage and it would be about another hour. After rather longer we got another call “I’m here, where are you?” – guess where, Windermere again. More phone calls said they would sort it and gave us a new time. About then we put my basic trickle charger on the battery, hindsight is a wonderful thing, should have done it straight away. Time came and went when we got a call to say he was delayed by a previous job on the motorway and would be another hour. Tried to start it but still no go, probably wasted the charge we had achieved. Another deadline missed then at 1:20 got a call to say he was 5 miles away (at least it wasn’t Windermere!) but could we give him directions as his SatNav was broken, which we did. Got worried after 20 minutes into a 10 minute drive so got back to him, he’d missed the turning so described how to get back to it. After a couple more phone calls got him to tell us where he was, he had found a street sign, so at 2:10 I went to guide him in. So at about 2:30 – 7 hours from first call – he arrived here. We disconnected the trickle charger and it started first time. I usually think lorry drivers are amazingly skilful when they manoeuvre but this guy made a hash of a 17 point turn which nearly removed the neighbours wall and oil tank, and woke them up I discovered this morning. I don’t know about not the sharpest knife in drawer, he wouldn’t even find the drawer. So off to bed at 2:45, when the phone went, I guess the AA checking “progress”, but we didn’t answer.
Westi
KG Regular

Geoff - one of those days! That was one hell of a story & waste of resources! Wonder if the other guys with the flat tyre ever got found! :D

Blimey Peter!

The word 'grafter' comes to mind - although I have the smell of muscle rub wafting my direction! :lol:

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
It's a good job it wsan't the fire brigade you were after!
JB.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Shallot man,
Here we have also had very disappointing results from Moonlight. The first year we grew them the result was pretty good but using new seed in successive years they failed to produce the crop of the first year so they were not sown again. The plants struggled from the start with other varieties prospering in the same line. At that time we were groowing Streamline and St George and about three other varieties and they all raced away.
JB.
Clive.
KG Regular

Interesting the discussion on Moonlight. I grew them for the first time this year at work and they have been really good producers of long straight beans in profusion. Picked right down they soon bounced back with more. The foliage has been minimal, barely masking the sight of the hazel poles. Our ground is medium clay with years of improvement and they are sited on a south facing border with tall brick wall behind.
They have just about run out of steam now although with the 30 mm rain on Saturday last and the warmth this week hoping they may rally? but I have been happily recounting the good results from them to visitors. I certainly plan to grow them again based on this year, so time will tell. :)
I have been used to solely growing older names so it maybe they are better than them and perhaps I should try another recent variety to compare further.

Clive.
Westi
KG Regular

Oh Well, from tomorrow I think we can say mid summer is over. With the sun crossing the equator & day length changing to longer periods of darkness Autumn will gently slide in! I'm a summer kind of girl at heart but I do love the seasons.

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic