Typical :(

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

dan3008
KG Regular

So, the first day I'm aloud back into the garden, and I've got a migraine. So off my feet throwing up all day :(
Blah
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sorry to read that Dan, let's hope tomorrow brings brighter things for you.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Dan....oh my giddy aunt, you have my sympathy regarding the migraines. I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. When I got a right humdinger of a migraine, I was wiped out for three days.

I am happy to say, the damn things have reduced in frequency and severity as I've got older. which is exactly what happened with my Mam....she suffered from migraines badly and so did her mother. I'm 63 now and rarely get them....if I do it's tolerable and I don't throw up. Bonus!

Hope you feel better today.
Happy with my lot
dan3008
KG Regular

Thanks both. I'm a lot better today thankfully :)

For me a migrain involves flashing blobs and clouding of my vision, a splitting headache, and repeated throwing up :( Oh and a numbness across my whole skin... Not nice, but at least they only last a day (and groggy the next day from not eating). Actually, If I get migereleave, or paracetamol and codeine in time, I can usually negate the headache and throwing up, but i still cant see all day.

However, I do get them a lot, thats 8 since januarry 2015. But its got to be once a month or more for the docs to do anything. But I'm getting to the point where I'd consider a daith piercing despite the lack of actual evidence that it works

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
snooky
KG Regular

Worked with a lad who had migraines so bad that he had to l go to bed in a darkened room to "recover".Migraines are not nice.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
JohnN
KG Regular

I once had a boss who suffered badly from migraines and devised a way that he said helped reduce them. He had a plastic bag, medium size, into which he breathed heavily several times until it was filled with his expelled carbon dioxide. He then held the bag over his mouth and breathed in all the C02 in the bag. He said that the gas acts as an anaesthetic in the brain, at least for a time. Hope it helps!
dan3008
KG Regular

snooky wrote:Worked with a lad who had migraines so bad that he had to l go to bed in a darkened room to "recover".Migraines are not nice.

That's what I normally end up doing snooky...

JohnN, I've never heard of that before. Might have to give it a go.

Elaine
KG Regular

Dan, I was referred to a consultant re the migraines, who prescribed some tablets to prevent them. I don't remember what they were but they made me feel dire, so I refused to take them.
Someone recommended that I took Feverfew tablets....it might have been all in my mind but I got less migraines! I got mine from Boots the chemist but Health shops will have them. I take Migraleve too...never go anywhere without them.

I don't get an aura..or flashing lights...but my vision starts to go out of focus and my sense of smell seems really enhanced, before the pain and sickness starts The pain is usually on the left side of my head, starting behind my eye and eventually even my teeth hurt. Thankfully, I don't have them that bad now. **touches wood**

Some folks don't understand. When I worked in a certain supermarket, the boss just did not comprehend that I could get a pain in my head which would end up so bad that I needed to go home right then, or I wouldn't be able to drive home at all. She wanted me to lie down in the First aid room, :shock: I ended up just leaving anyway and was off for three days. I took her some leaflets from the Migraine trust. She thought migraines were "just headaches" and didn't believe I had needed three days off. :evil:
Happy with my lot
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Elaine,
A few years ago there was an experiment trying to effect a treatment for Migrane using the wild flower Feverfew. The trouble with these experiments is that you hear about the commencement of the 'research' but never hear is there was a happy conclusion so I do not know if anything became of it. It might be something you might like to look into.
Sincerely.
JB.
robo
KG Regular

My wife is a migraine suffer she is convinced that the bouts are caused by something she has eaten,usually when she has a migraine she will be sick shortly after it goes
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello Johnboy.
I took Feverfew tablets for years after someone recommended them to me. They certainly worked for me, I took one tablet every morning and my migraine attacks were definitely lessened and not quite so intense when one did start. The tablets were pretty cheap...used to be £5 for 100 tablets back in the 1980's. I would have been happy paying more than that for something which warded off migraine attacks and gave no side effects. :)
You can also eat a couple of Feverfew leaves in a sandwich, though I never tried that. They have a very mild celery flavour.

Hello Robo
There is definitely a link between certain foods/drinks which are known to trigger migraine. The most common ones are cheese and chocolate, citrus fruits/drinks, red wine, caffeine .
In my case, I don't have any food triggers but caffeine certainly is...I cannot drink cola and use decaff coffee. Another trigger for me, is going for too long without something to eat. If I miss a meal and wait too long, I get a migraine.
I also cannot drink Lager as there are a lot of chemicals and additives, one of which also triggers migraine for me. That's no loss....I much prefer bitter anyway!

The Migraine Trust has a wealth of information and advice for sufferers.
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic