Taking a hike for Alzheimers

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Tony Hague
KG Regular

I hope it is OK to rattle my collecting tin here ...

I'm joining a fundraising walk for Alzheimer's society this summer. On 16 July I will be taking on the Yorkshire three peaks challenge - Pen-y-ghent, Whernside, Ingleborough; around 24 miles walking, and about a mile vertically, hopefully in under 12 hours.

It seems to me that modern medicine has done fairly well at prolonging life, but there is still a lot to be done to improve quality of life for the elderly. I have seen the impact of Alzheimer's on family members, and want to help.

Alzheimer's society supports sufferers and their carers, and funds research into understanding, and hopefully one day preventing dementure. If you would like to support me in helping them, any contributions are much appreciated.

If you wish, you can sponsor me here. Thanks :D
dan3008
KG Regular

Tony, if my doc gives me the all clear, then I might see you on the walk :) if I do, ill be the one carrying the curly top 2 year old on my back :) needless to say, I shan't be doing the climb, just the hike. People said I was mad when I wanted to cary my 3stone toddeler for the hike. Then I remind them I was an army cadet in part of my miss spent youth, and a standard cadet kit pack is 3st, so its no deal for me lol
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Of course it is alright, Tony, if people can't, or don't want to donate, they don't have to, so there's no pressure.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tony,
Please tell us how to donate. I will sponsor you for £20.
JB.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Johnboy, if you go to Tony's last sentence and click on the word here, (last word but one) it will open up a link to enable you to leave a donation.

Tony Hague
KG Regular

Thank you both very much. Much appreciated.

Dan, perhaps I'll spot you. I'm not sure I need any extra load to make it harder, it sounds like a long day as it is, but I have my room at the pub booked to unwind afterwards. Good luck with the doctor !

Here's the web address in full:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/T-HAGUE
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tony,
Just to wish you every success in your endeavour on Saturday. I hope the weather is kind to you and you thoroughly enjoy your day.
You seem to have done very well with your donations for such a very worthy cause.
Pehaps it is not too late for others from this forum to still slip in a donation!
Remember whilst you still can because the next person could be you or even worse one of yours!
Sincerely,
JB.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I am in for a tenner.
Geoff
KG Regular

Looks like a good day for it - good luck - I've never done it even though it is on my doorstep.

Horton weather.jpg
Horton weather.jpg (142.23 KiB) Viewed 4804 times

You can get an idea nearer the time here http://www.ingleboroughwebcam.co.uk/latest-hd-image
Tony Hague
KG Regular

A fine walk it was too. Quite tough, but the views from Whernside especially were fab. Despite a grey start the sun came through on the way down from Pen-y-ghent. The last haul over Ingleborough was hard, but I'm pleased to have finished in about 9 hours.

A big thanks to those who have supported me in raising funds for Alzheimers society. Very much appreciated. I've put up a few photos on the Just Giving page here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/T-HAGUE, and a GPS trace as proof I finished it ! The page is still open for donations, if anyone feels so inclined :-)
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:I am in for a tenner.

Tried to pay online. No luck. I do not use PayPal. Do we have an address we can send to. :?
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I have already asked the Alzheimers society this question, and this was the instructions:

Please ask the gentleman to write a cheque out to 'Alzheimer's Society' and send this to: Alzheimer's Society, Scott Lodge, Scott Road, Plymouth, Devon, PL2 3DU. To ensure that your donation is linked to your event please ensure he includes your full name, supporter number 2477814 and state that this is a donation linked to your event. If he would like an acknowledgement we'd need his name and postal address.

There you go, and thanks, much appreciated.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Tony, a good job done.

Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Tony,
Glad to hear that you finished in a good time and that you enjoyed the experience and you came home in one piece.
Sincerely,
JB
Monika
KG Regular

A bit late, but no doubt still acceptable: a cheque is on its way after I could not access the just giving either. Well done and tell us about your experience, please!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic