Leaving your veg when you go on holiday

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Interesting article in the Telegraph today. Does anybody else feel like this ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family ... to-sitter/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

No, I've avoided this by having my longer holidays between October and March. Also, I sometimes leave partner at home while I go on holiday. It solves quite a few problems :D
Primrose
KG Regular

A few years ago we bought an automatic watering system for our garden veg plot which is a pain to set up every year (we have to dismantle it and clean the individual watering spouts annually or they clog up with limescale) but it has certainly helped to relieve the watering anxiety when you're away on holiday in hot weather and wondering if your vegs are dying from thirst.

It's not perfect though as you have to programme it in advance and if it rains every day your system will still kick in and give your plants a double dose of water. Alas, I've not yet trained it on how to pick courgettes before they become marrows though or collect peas and process them if I'm not there to eat them whilst still fresh and juicy.

The timing of holidays for vegetable growers is often a problem as you're either busy sowing, thinning out & repotting or harvestings. Sometimes it's a lot easier and you have less angst if you have a garden full of flowers.
robo
KG Regular

We are normally away a lot more than we have been this year ,we have been talking about this today as if all is ok we are going away next week, I am lucky I've got a mate 3 plots up who waters the pollytunnel for us and another who feeds the chickens only problem is I can't find anyone to do the wedding
Geoff
KG Regular

How can you bring yourself to leave it?
peter
KG Regular

robo wrote:....only problem is I can't find anyone to do the wedding

Well Reverend Robo, I work with a very cheerful Ghanaian Pastor, who'll be only to glad to fill in for you. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

I make excuses not to go away too long. I've used them so much Mr Westi also uses them without thought!

I started using the allotment as an excuse, but with his allergy to doing no more than paint the shed it didn't work too well! Fortunately have the critters & a few adding ups of the cost of boarding them onto the holiday costs he started to notice. Then unfortunately my Aussie passport expired. Add a trip to London & the fast track costs to make sure I'm not a terrorist, an overnight stay as it takes all day - most of it stuck in Aussie House on nice looking but uncomfortable benches & Mr Westi decided he'd seen enough of the world while he was in the Merchant Navy, so let's stay home!

Perfect result (eventually)! And besides - I live in a damn pretty place that others envy & we know the secret spots! Oh & how much water do your brassica's need??

Westi
Westi
dan3008
KG Regular

peter wrote:
robo wrote:....only problem is I can't find anyone to do the wedding

Well Reverend Robo, I work with a very cheerful Ghanaian Pastor, who'll be only to glad to fill in for you. :twisted:

Well, I did get ordained to do a friends wedding, so if you want a wedding held by the united federation of plants (it was a garden wedding, and united federation of planets was taken) so if you want a wedding I could do that.

You'd be surprised what you can get qualified for online. A years ordination only costs a few hundred pounds... Oh, and you still need a registrar ...

Anyway, I think I've gone too far off topic now. Sorry about that.

Back on topic a bit, I have the perfect excuse for only having short holidays... My little girl cant handle more than a few days away lol
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
robo
KG Regular

Bloody spiel chicker there is always one that slips by
richard p
KG Regular

couple of weeks in the canaries sometime between nov and feb works for us.... this jan went to marrakesh instead, ok once but its canaries this winter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic