Blight !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Crikey - just had my first Blight warning of a full Smith period and my tomatoes aren't even all planted out yet!
Hopefully this isn't going to be a taste of things to come. :(
peter
KG Regular

Ditto.

Sat sweltering in a conference centre in London where the air conditioning is struggling with the ambient humidity. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Gerry
KG Regular

Last night it felt realy like blight. My early potatoes were just poking through so I had to get the spade and quickly cover them with soil.
Westi
KG Regular

Yes I got one too! Good job I got active with earthing up on the weekend!

Westi
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

No warnings here. Good job I've started digging mine. 1.7kg (3lb 10ozs) from the first root.
Diane
KG Regular

Me too...first blight warning of the year.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Geoff, i got really late getting mine in this year, with everything that has been going on...but looking forward to that first meal of new potatoes.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

No sign of any flowers on mine yet I've two plastic tubs in the pollytunnel lots of growth look really healthy and the bacon and eggs waiting
Barry
KG Regular

Yes, there was a blight warning here in Kent, too.

Interesting. The weather was perfect for it, so I rushed down to the plot in the rain and earthed everything up that I could.

There has always been a reference to "early blight" as if this is different to normal blight. Is there any difference to an attack so early in the season?

I must confess that I have never lost a whole crop of potatoes so early on in the season in nearly 20 years of allotment gardening, although have lost some plants.

At this time of year, spacing tends to be very far apart, since the plants aren't mature. Maybe that is the reason blight is not such a big problem.

Any thoughts?
peter
KG Regular

Got a Smith warning this morning.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

oh dear - that sounds as if more of us might be getting another one soon. I was going to plant my remaining outdoor tomatoes out today but weather doesn't look very encouraging. May give them another two or three days under cover. Those I planted out earlier are now looking very cramped under their square 5 litre mineral water cloche bottles so will have to expose them permanently to the elements imminently.
Barry
KG Regular

Blight notice here in Kent, too, although not in parts of the county closer to London.

I remain dubious. The previous warning turned out not to be accurate, since despite very close conditions over a number of days, blight did not strike.

Similarly, at the moment, we have relatively strong winds, which are what normally protects us from the dreaded blight.

But I am open to being persuaded otherwise :D

I'm also going to keep my tomato plants indoors, though!
robo
KG Regular

Where do you get the blight warnings from, the last three days have been glorious here and today is looking like another one
Barry
KG Regular

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic