Can't wait !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Had a couple of large supermarket tomatoes as part of our snack lunch today.
What utterly insipid tasteless things they were. :( Complete waste of money. I wouldn't buy them for myself but my
husband insists on having tomatoes all year round regardless of lack of flavour!
I can't wait to pick my first home grown sun ripened tomatoes from the garden.
How do supermarkets have the nerve to sell them when they are so tasteless?
Do most people think this is what the genuine article is supposed to taste like?

More importantly, is there anything at all one can do, i.e. leaving them on a sunny indoor
window ledge for a couple of days, which will improve the flavour of these things and make
them even vaguely edible?
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

They may have been insipid and tasteless, but I bet they were beautifully uniform in shape and size. After all that seems to be the most important criterion for supermarket fruit and veg. Decent flavour only gets in the way of these aims :cry:
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Primrose!

There is nothing you can do to redeem them into anything like a tasty tomato by any means. Of course minimally better if warm but really that should be micro-minimally better. Most supermarkets do sell labelled variety tomatoes along side the pack of 6 'salad tomatoes' though & although never going to be as tasty as home/lottie grown they leave the pre-pack tomatoes in the dark!

My hubby I think I've said before likes those bland things, (childhood taste), so we always have different types in the fridge off season. He does prefer the home grown when in season though & the sight of flowers on the greenhouse ones is well pleasing, especially as it's my black tomato!

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes Fred, visually they couldn't be faulted. I just knew though that the moment I sliced them up they would be totally tasteless, and they were. Even dressing them up with a little olive oil, a sprinkle of salt & pepper and some fresh oregano did little to redeem them.

We've become used to exppecting to eat foods out of their normal season and agricultural technology has made that possible, but sadly the scientists haven't yet found out how to impart the original seasonal flavour. When I see videos of endless glasshouses full of tomato plants being grown hydroponically it's hardly surprising that the elements of sun, minerals or other natural trace soil elements are missing from the end product. It may be one of the ways of feeding a growing population but that doesn't make them a joy to eat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic