Growing Melons

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Soundz_Good
KG Regular

I bought a packet of Melon 'Sweetheart' seeds, of the 20 seeds I have managed to get them all to germinate and now I have 6 of the healthiest growing in grow bags. They are approx 8" high the packet states that they reach approx 6'. However one of my plants have started to flower - there is only one flower at the minuite but it seems that I may have a few more on the way.

Is this usual for them to flower so early on the growth stage?

Has anyone else tried melons? Any advice on getting a good crop?

Also it states to grow these cordon style, how do I do this?
Thanks.
Do it once and do it right.
mazmezroz
KG Regular

I have never managed to grow melons successfully, but I know one thing about flowers. You have to look out for the female flowers that have a little 'baby' melon behind the flower. The male ones don't produce fruit. Also, if your plants are inside, you often have to hand pollinate in order to make sure the fruit sets.

I tried all of this, and even when I got a couple of female flowers and carefully hand pollinated them, the fruits didn't develop and the flowers dropped off!!!

I think you have to prune them carefully cutting specific bits off 'em, so hopefully there will be someone who can give you - and me - more information about how to grow them successfully!!!

I am trying again this year - not one to be put off by 2 years of failure! So I wish you luck, and hope to hear more advice given to you and therefore to me too!

Here's to happily fruitful melons!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic