How self-sufficient are you?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

No allotment just a big veg patch so only manage to be self sufficient in veg for half the year. Haven't grown many winter crops. Trying extra hard this year to grow more and try new crops.
haggis
KG Regular

I'm hanging my head in shame having read some of the above replies. I wouldn't like to say how self sufficient I am - or not sufficient as is more accurate. This is my fourth year with a plot and I am getting a bit better each year (also have a bit more time with my boy not a baby anymore) but progress is painful. The only things I manage to provide all year round are shallots and leeks. Onions and potatoes run out about half way through the year. Have never managed to grow a single parsnip yet and my carrots have twice been a disaster. No spring onion has ever graced my plot. Cabbages are moderately successful as is PSB. Peas always come in a glut then the leaves go grey (a fungus?) and the plants die. My sole cauliflower was about the size of a tennis ball and last year I managed to get three beetroot!
My hubbie (an accountant!) has pointed out that with the investment of capital and time taken into account we would be cheaper buying organic veg from M&S.
I think I must be the worst gardener ever - still I love my plot and wouldn't swap it for the world. It is a real stress buster - I was there at 6am on Saturday (had to scrape ice off the car to get there!) and it was wonderful surveying my not very productive empire.

All you productive gardeners have my heartfelt admiration!
Kind regards

Haggis
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic