Horse in the compost?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Barry
KG Regular

It's horse, isn't it?

What gave it away was the furry nature of the material that I keep finding in the multi-purpose compost. It must be horse tail, or possibly donkey.

The reason why hooved animals are probably inside the bag is because they have tried sneaking ungulates in meat products and that got found out, so now they have clearly switched to multi-purpose compost!

It's either that or the companies making multi-purpose compost are having a bit of a laugh, chucking in any old rubbish, probably hoping that those of us buying our multi-purpose compost at the likes of B&Q or Wickes won't notice. But I did!

I've got a huge pile of bits that look at though they've come off a horse or a donkey alongside my bag of compost, which isn't filling as many trays as it used to.

This is getting ridiculous.

Oh, and another thing, could somebody ask Lidl not to allow their "free range" chickens to drink SO much water, because it all comes out when I roast them and ruins the taste (what taste!) I mean, some human females go to great lengths not to carry additional weight; but these hens are just shameless - they just never stop drinking! Have they not seen themselves in the mirror?

What is the world coming to?!
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Barry!

On the chicken part of your post I am finding it doesn't matter if free range, organic etc all the chicken tastes of basically nothing! There used to be a clear distinction in quality & taste but maybe they have cottoned onto the fact it is by weight - after all would added water not count as organic?

Having a quick read of the Jamie Oliver mag at the newsagents & there was chickens in there for £28! (No gold leaf included)!

Westi
Westi
Barry
KG Regular

I want to come back to this topic after watching an episode of Beechgrove Garden last week.

The presenters were discussing problems with John Innes seed compost, suggesting there was a problem with it to such an extent that they are experimenting with a new mix on the programme to get better results. My JI seeding compost has been much too compact and I have not had the usual level of success.

Ditto my earlier remarks about exactly what it is nowadays going into multipurpose compost. Using normal suppliers, I have yet to get a bag where there isn't endless amounts of rubbish (donkey? horse? whippet?) mixed in with it. I end up not being able to use a substantial quantity of the so-called compost because it is too bulky.

Is it me, or are we consumers being taken for a ride? I think we are!!!

If they can put horse into burgers, I can but imagine what it is I am fishing out of bales of compost....
peter
KG Regular

The composted results of council collected compost bins. Wth whatever Joe Public puts in them.

Never heard an answer to the lawn moss and/or weed killer issue. Manufacturers say don't compost the first two or three mowings, Councils fine you for putting lawn mowings in smt bin bar the compist one.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic