Here we go Bits and Bobs - 2016.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Saw the first two swifts on Friday 6th, exactly the same date as last year. amazing how regular these migrant birds are, isn't it? I have a list of local arrivals from 1908 and there is a slight trend for them to arrive earlier now but not much change. Willow warbler, chiffchaff and blackcap are singing but I haven't heard a cuckoo yet.

The three blackbird chicks in our porch have successfully left the nest and are now hiding in the undergrowth in the garden and being fed by dad.

We had a "promise" of heavy showers last night but they never came, so lots of watering to do!
Primrose
KG Regular

I found about 25 snails lurking under a spare roof slate whilst weeding my strawberry border this morning so "repatriated " them to a nearby public footpath.
I should have put some red nail varnish on their shells to see if it's true that they have a rehoming instinct and all turn up back here again.
Does anybody know how long the average snail lives for?
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:I found about 25 snails lurking under a spare roof slate whilst weeding my strawberry border this morning so "repatriated " them to a nearby public footpath.
I should have put some red nail varnish on their shells to see if it's true that they have a rehoming instinct and all turn up back here again.
Does anybody know how long the average snail lives for?

About 2 seconds under my boot :lol:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Westi
KG Regular

Hit 22 degrees on Lottie today! Watered, hoed weeds, sowed some bits & bobs, earthed up the spuds & harvested a red lettuce, some nice radishes, asparagus & rhubarb. Quite bearable except for the Factor 25 applied which then attracted all the dust & what I'm self diagnosing as tennis elbow. Bought a support for the elbow but pretty useless & sliding off with the suntan lotion - not to mention the thought of a white stripe on one arm.

Went home via the beach & quay - big mistake! Heaving, but nice to see the boats & boards out on the water & the pub & cafes full.

Westi
Westi
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Another glorious day here again :)

Put up some greenhouse shading this morning.

Sowed some Palace parsnips in my new raised bed.
I've sown a different variety in another part of the garden, so I can compare how they grow.

Sowed runners and climbing french beans direct in the ground this year. I'm going away at the end of this coming week for a fortnight, so hopefully they will be up when I get back. I had to fence them in, otherwise the blackbirds would have thrown them all over the place on their evening digging sorties :lol:

Some of the water butts are getting low already.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Clive.
KG Regular

The Early Onward peas that I mentioned higher up this thread, May 2nd, I see tonight are coming up. :)

Clive.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I just cannot remember who it was that came up with this solution for my French bush beans but here is the resulting belt-and-braces protection from wind and low temperatures.
Attachments
IMG_1024.jpg
IMG_1024.jpg (106.27 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Richard, that seems to have everything covered... :) ..

Nice steady rain here today, that will bring things on nicely.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Looks pretty good & secure Richard. They should be well protected with the cloches as well until it warms up a bit.

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm almost embarresed Westi, come-on, who was it that gave me the idea when I had all the stuff to do it but didn't even think in that direction ?

I tried those plastic cloches last year, they blew away complete with nine inch wire pegs into the soil, like I said. If the soil is what we all aspire to it won't hold tent pegs or even those plastic moulded ones. They blew over into the next field, the far bank/hedge in that field managed to hang onto them and fortunately the cows hadn't started chewing them.

Also, I'm going to try to grow straight beans rather than curly ones.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Yeah it was me, but idea just clicked when I recalled the pictures of your raised beds you posted ages ago! Here's to a mega bean crop & plenty of recipes posted to use up the excess! :D

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Ahh, it was you. Thanks again.

Those bean plants have doubled in size already although it difficult to see them because the cloches were very steamed-up. I did open the small vents at the top.

Courgette plants are being nibbled and don't look very good though out of twenty seedlings I'll have enough if only two survive, I suppose it's slugs so I put pellets down.

I noticed on the weather forecast that you on the east side of the island are due another cold period.
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Richard, Just one thing to be a little careful of regarding the cloche's. The French beans will grow a little soft if left under the cloche too long, resulting in them flopping over when the cloche's are removed. I suppose it would be a lot of trouble to remove them on nice days and put them back at night, wouldn't it....just a thought....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks for that advice OH, I'll,take them off now. Just put them back on if we expect low temperatures.
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Went to lottie to harvest some asparagus this evening!

Set off from home in sunlight, pulled into lottie site in about 10 mins to a few drops of rain, by the time we drove to lottie itself it was thunder & lightning & that's about 3 minutes. Stuck in car for about 20 mins until it passed as it wasn't just a shower!

Got my asparagus eventually though! (Oh & wet feet as so many puddles)! :D

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic