mystery tomatoes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

Can anyone remember the variety of tomatoes that we subscribers were sent, a couple of months ago? I planted some and, of course, have lost the packet. :roll: They're growing really well btw.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

The only packet of tomato seeds I have that look like free ones are nimbus f1 I'm not sure where I got them from but they are marked. Free trial packet
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you - it might very well be the one. I have no recollection of the name - at all - so it will be a surprise.
Oakridge
KG Regular

I do like your signature Diane, but can we include furry rats in that instruction too - grey squirrels.
Diane
KG Regular

:lol: :lol:
Geoff
KG Regular

I think Nimbus were from DT Brown a couple of years ago - not worth bothering with in my opinion. I think the last freebies from KG were Costoluto Fiorentino - quite a nice old fashioned semi-beefsteak.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff

You are right, Nimbus was sent out by DT Brown as a freebie trial.

I placed a club order and we received a number of packets, all of which were complete failures. I got one seed to germinate and that produced nothing as it turned over before fruiting.,

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Apart from the fruit being nothing special the Nimbus were labelled F1 but the two I let grow were completely different in habit, one was normal but the other thought it was a bush and tried side shooting for ever more with leaves on the ends of trusses as well.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

42 different varieties of tomato seed on offer in this years D T Brown catalogue, guess which isn't one of them

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

I've found out which variety was - (via the KG Facebook page) - it was a packet of costoluto fiorentino seeds. The germination rate was almost 100%.
robo
KG Regular

You are right Diane, I have a packet with kitchen garden on the front I picked the wrong packet up when I typed nimbus f1 anyway I will now put them in the bin as General feeling is they are a nono
alan refail
KG Regular

Robo
Don't bin them! Costoluto Fiorentino are excellent tomatoes. The ones I gave away last year, when I was not in a fit state to grow them well, were pronounced the tastiest ever by my friend I gave the spare ones to. He was so impressed that I am growing plants for his greenhouse this year, as well as my polytunnel.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

Alan it's the nimbus that are now in the bin
alan refail
KG Regular

robo wrote:Alan it's the nimbus that are now in the bin

Phew!!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I always feel cruel when I throw seeds and seedlings away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic