Superoot Air Pots

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

mr-cecil
KG Regular

I normally have some "spare" cherry tom plants and I'm thinking it might be interesting to try 3 plants as follows:
1) plant in a normal pot
2) plant in an official "air port"
3) plant in a DIY pot such as that on youtube...
Westi
KG Regular

Hi mr-cecil!

Maybe Tony will lend you a real airpot if you help with & feed back on this experiment. Might cover the blight occurrences which would be no final conclusion, if the test area was spread out.
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
I have had these pots come into the college with plants in and also another style called nutriculture pots. I did not re-use either style of pot for the following reasons.

I feel that they took far too much water to keep moist.
They also had a rather coarse soil mix in them which if not replicated would lead to a loss of soil through the holes.
They are designed, I think, to be used with drip irrigation and were not easy to water conventionally.
Moving the superoot pots is difficult when they are still developing a root ball as the soil falls out of the bottom. The others used a very light compost and fell over a lot.

I expect they are excellent at the job for which they were developed which is growing on bigger trees and shrubs which will transplant easily and not develop subsequent problems with root girdling in a much smaller pot than standard. I just do not think that they would be any good for veg growing where a lack of moisture at the roots would cause problems.

All that said we did find a use for the superoot pots in that we broke them apart and used them flat wrapped in weed fabric to provide a drainage layer at the bottom of some brick planters we had had built. After we had emptied them the nutruculture pots were slung in the bin I am afraid as we just could not keep the plants they contained watered without saucers.
Regards Sally Wright.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic